Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked a spoke wheel but I do not like a tubed wheel. I am then considering changing wheels and at the same time wider rear wheels. Are there any options out there? New to the Triumph scene...thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
I put an SE wheel on the rear and an America wheel on the front in order to not have to run tubes. Has worked great so far.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Also a wider wheel would require a different swingarm as well as modifications to the countershaft to account for the wider wheel. Anything is "possible" with enough money and effort.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thank you, are the SE wheel and America wheel the same size as the original? I can live with that too.
The SE rear wheel is the same size as the spoke wheel (17 x 3.5) and is a straight swap. The America front wheel is an inch smaller (the spoke wheel is 19 x 2.5, the America cast wheel is 18 x 2.5.) I made up most of the difference by going to a slightly larger front tire (the Bonnie front tire is a 100/90 x 19, I went with a 110/90/18 for the front.) Actual difference in diameter is less than half an inch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where is a good online store to buy an inner tube for the rear of a 08 bonnie? thanks

·
Premium Member
160 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looks like EU640 per wheel or about $700USD at current exchange rates.

A bit pricey for me but I admit they look good. The only aftermarket alloys I've seen are $1200+USD each. Ouch!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Holy schmack those Canyon wheels are pricey!

Question about the wide rear wheel kit: How do they fit without a wider swingarm?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
The price is pretty competitive with pretty much all other aftermarket wheels, especially since I believe he makes them custom order vs mass produced. Not sure about your 790 Bonnie, but on my 2013 SE there is a ton of room between the tire and the swingarm, chain guard etc. If you get wider than a 180 rear tire, you have to use the offset sprocket front and rear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Somebody suggested I use the Outex tubeless kit from Japan on my original wheels to be able to convert them to a tubeless wheel. Not willing to spend $$$ at Canyon at this time. Your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I sourced a pair of wheels from a supermoto wheel builder . Excel rims and Talon hubs a straight bolt on fit . I now run 120/70 17 front 160/60 17 rear , a 170/60 17 rear would fit easily . this also required mounting an alloy front mudguard beneath the fork brace that is beneath the original mudguard . Search the forum there are numerous people who have documented tubeless conversions . Cheapest option for wheel size change would be having your stock wheels rebuilt with rims of your own choice , my sizes allow a wide choice of modern radial tyres .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somebody suggested I use the Ontex on my original wheels to be able to convert them to a tubeless wheel. Not willing to spend $$$ at Canyon at this time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts