Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got one? Any recommendations? I want one with adjustable high AND low speed compression. I don't think Penske makes one for a triple. Ohlins makes one but I can't figure out if it has high and low speed compression adjustment. I've been trying to get one from Wilber's for a month now. They've been jerking me around-said it would be shipped this week. Today they called and said the factory had shipped them the wrong shock and they'd have to start over again :mad: . I think I'm going to tell them where they can stick their shock!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2007-03-01 21:56, auraaura wrote:
Ohlins makes one but I can't figure out if it has high and low speed compression adjustment.
Öhlins recommends 46HRCLB for 1050 Speedy.

The Öhlins letters translate as:
Shock absorber type:
E - Emulsion type.
D - Monotube with Internal reservoir.
P - Monotube with "Piggy back" reservoir.
H - Monotube with Hose mounted reservoir.
W - Shock absorber delivered without spring.
K - Emulsion type for cruiser bikes.
Q - Progressive damping system with two
pistons (PDS)

Adjustment features:
X - High and Low speed compression
damping.
C - Compression damping.
R - Rebound damping.
S - Hose mounted hydraulic spring preload.
L - Adjustable Length.
B - Integrated hydraulic spring preload.
Mechanical spring preload

Any shock with X in the product # will have the separate low/high speed circuit. So the recommended one does not have this, but I do not see why you could not go for one of the universal shocks in their selection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I wonder how a universal shock would work? Doesn't a shock need to be set up for a particular bike's weight, suspension leverage ratio, etc.?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2007-03-02 07:34, auraaura wrote:
Hmmm, I wonder how a universal shock would work? Doesn't a shock need to be set up for a particular bike's weight, suspension leverage ratio, etc.?
I am certainly no expert on the subject, but spring is easy to change and the Öhlins shop can shim the innards to suit as long as the shock length and travel are in a suitable range. Or so I have been told.

But as the recommended base model is 900-1000 euros without any setup or changes, I think dreaming about shocks with more features and custom setups might be a little unnecessary.
:-D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, looks like I might be forced to continue to deal with the fools at Wilbers.....their's is roughly $1000 fully set up.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a Penske 8983, which does not have separate high- and low-speed compression adjusters, but I know Penske can make a shock for the 1050 with both compression adjusters. Just give them a call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts