Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought a mini tachometer from here.

I am looking at the haynes manual (see attached).

I can see the instrument cluster side of the connector and the other side. On the far side, I can see the ignition coil wire. Shown below as the red wire between the blue/red and the green/red:

On the instrument side of the connector, I can see the gap where the t100's tach would have been plugged into that. Here's a pic of the gap.

So I know I can splice my green tach wire to the red wire on the far side of the instrument connector. However, both the haynes manual and the triumph service manual diagrams show that this gap should have a green/red and blue/red on each side of this gap, and I am seeing a solid blue instead of the green/red.

So the wires are at least a little scrambled from what the manuals say they should be. I have a 2008 carbed bonneville. Anybody know what is going on with the wrong colored cables? Any ideas which wires I should tap into for power, since my colors seem to be wrong? What have other people done?

I'd like to tap into the same wires as the OEM tach, but with the colors being off, I'm not sure which those would be. Also, which ones are + and which are -? I think the brown are - and the green/red are +, but I don't have a voltmeter to check...

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, so I followed the solid blue wire from the instrument connector to the actual instrument (the neutral light) and verified that yes indeed, the wire that the diagram shows as green/red is actually a solid blue the whole way. I have no idea why this is.

Anyway, I tapped all the same wires as the T100 OEM tachometer and attached the tach to my instrument cluster with an old bracket off some sort of furniture, I think. It was in my tool box, anyway, and was a perfect fit. My wife even says it looks like it came from the dealer that way, and trust me that makes my next project go over that much easier. Whew.

Let me know if anybody wants more pictures of the process and/or final product. I'll probably post the final in the "what did you do to your triumph today" thread....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mini Bracket Install HOW-TO

OK, here goes.

First, I ordered what my wife calls the "tackyometer" from here. This one has a nice clean bundle of wires in the back and comes with the v-bracket that I was hoping would be a bit longer than it actually is. More on that later.

It arrives with a HUGE amount of instructions and reading material, as you can see in the first attached picture. ;)

I have the haynes manual and the triumph workshop manual. They both have slightly different wiring diagrams, but they show the same thing in the same colors. The part I was interested in was the difference between the T100 wiring and the Bonneville wiring, where the OEM tachometer is attached. The second attachment shows the part of the haynes manual I am talking about.

I opened up my headlight and took the seat off and battery out. I started looking for the instrument panel connector and igniter coil, to know which wires i'd need to splice. You can see in the third attachment the igniter coil's "red wire" everyone talks about. Since it's there and goes all the way to the headlight, I don't think I need to mention too much more about this. apparently, unless your bonnie is like a 2001 or so, you won't need to find this, and if you do, you'd see the same thing, minus the red wire.

I am going to refer to the instrument connector with as having a "near side" and a "far side". Near side means the side facing the instruments, far side means facing the battery/ground/etc.

On the 4th atachment, you can see the far side of the instrument connector. You can see here the red ignition coil wire with the two wires on each side of it easily labeled (the colors got a bit washed out due to my sucky cameraphone).

The colors are a little sketchy, but if you compare against the triumph service manual, you can see the wire/pin combo should be:

8: green w/red stripe
9: red (ignition coil)
10: red with blue stripe

So I have the ignition coil wire on the far side. excellent.

The next attachment shows the near side.

Again, the diagram shows this:

8: red w/green stripe (from oil pressure warning light)
9: red (ignition, this wire is the gap in my pic, since the bonneville doesn't have a tach by default)
10: red with blue stripe (controls the lights that light up the speedo face)

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cont...

Ok, so my re w/green stripe appears to be blue. It's supposed to connect to the oil pressure warning light. So I checked that, and the wire there is blue too. Why they used the wrong color there, I'll never know. There's a pic of it in the next attachment, though.

I mentioned the alarm connector in the pic, because it was mentioned in a different post. That's what that stray connector is for.

Ok, knowing that that cable was blue, made me feel better about the process. So I can see from the digram I need to splice the positive (blue and red cables) on the tachometer to the blue wire from the oil pressure light (supposed to be red w/green in diagram), and the negative to the brown wire from the instrument light (far left on the plug in previous pic).

So I spliced and soldered and wrapped everything in tape and got the next attachment.

I think the only thing i haven't mentioned yet is how I mounted the tachometer to the bike. :p

So, I wanted to attach it using one of the screws that holds on to the oddly shaped bucket behind the idiot lights. I was hoping the V-shaped bracket it came with would be long enough, but it was too short by about 3/4 of an inch.

So, I found an old bracket from some furniture thing I worked on in the past, and used that. I attached the bracket to the V-shaped bracket with a small nut, bolt, washer, and blue locktite. Then i attached the black bracket to the idiot light box using a new screw (I believe it was an M4-.7x50mm, had to look in the home depot drawers more than once to find it). I attached that with a nut on one side, and a plastic nut from the plumbing section on the other side to try and dampen the vibrations a bit. The next attachment is a picture of the back.

I ran th cable the same as all the others that go into the headlight shell from there. And that's it. Last pic is the finished product.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brain hurts
:fugawe

You can imagine how I felt after studying the docs long enough to think I understood what everything was doing, then finding a single cable that isn't the color it's supposed to be. Makes you question whether your other assumptions are correct...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Factory manual also shows that as Green/Red so go figure!

Here is a diagram I created the other day that also shows the colours/pin configurations
Somebody some day should make a diagram like this, but list the pin numbers in order. So instead of "9,10,7,3" it goes "1,2,3,4" since the connectors themselves are in numerical order. You can look and think to yourself, "pin 9 should be red" and just count from one end, "1,2,3,4" to 9, and check the pins 8 and 10 on each side to make sure all the colors match and you know where you are. Except of course in my case, one wire was the wrong color.... :confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean like this?
(that is one I created for the SV but could copy this format for the Bonnie if that would be useful?)
Wow, that's even more detailed than what I was thinking. Nice though. I am no longer needing the diagram, since my tach is installed, but if you post the diagram here, some poor soul looking for help might find this thread and be grateful. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
"So I can see from the digram I need to splice the positive (blue and red cables) on the tachometer to the blue wire from the oil pressure light (supposed to be red w/green in diagram), and the negative to the brown wire from the instrument light"

Are you saying that both tach wires (blue and red) are attached together to the oil pressure light wire (green/red that turns blue) the black goes to brown (ground) and green (signal) goes into the empty slot in the connector inside the headlight? Am I reading this right? I bought the same tach and it is almost midnight and I just want to make sure... I know it has been mentioned here many times, I did a search, I have all the threads in front of me, I am still not sure though where the green tach wire goes. I have not opened up my headlight yet and maybe that's why... I am guessing the green (signal) goes with the red (power) but since you say our Bonneville did not come with a tach it should be empty. I saw another thread there was a red wire in that slot and it was indeed cut and connected to the tach green... Sorry to beat this so much but I think I got all other steps down, it's just this little detail.
Thanks for the pictures...:)
[/IMG]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So...

1. both the red and blue wire on the tach go to the positive wire on the oil light (mine's blue).

2. The black wire goes to the negative wire on the highbeam/"instrument" light (mine's brown).

3. Green wire goes to the ignition coil (red wire).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was able today to install the tach. Mondokat's instructions are spot on. Color codes were also 100% match. I used some paper and traced it underneath the cluster and then transfered it to a 18 ga steel plate that I had laying around... Cut it, drilled 4 holes and attached it to the bottom of the cluster using 3 inch M4x.7 screws and then attached the tach to the bracket. It all went smooth thanks to you guys. Everything works! Now all I need is time to ride...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able today to install the tach. Mondokat's instructions are spot on. Color codes were also 100% match. I used some paper and traced it underneath the cluster and then transfered it to a 18 ga steel plate that I had laying around... Cut it, drilled 4 holes and attached it to the bottom of the cluster using 3 inch M4x.7 screws and then attached the tach to the bracket. It all went smooth thanks to you guys. Everything works! Now all I need is time to ride...
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Mine vibrated loose eventually (after ~6000 miles), so I unscrewed it and put some blue lock-tite on the tip and screwed it back down. Won't be coming loose for a while now. my "Bracket" is probably a lot less substantial than yours though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update: Everything works, until I use the left turn signal. At that point the tach back light flashes like a turn signal and the needle does the initial sweep back and forth until I cancel the turn signal... then goes back to normal. Right side does not do it. Only the left. Both engine on and off. So I think I tapped into the left turn signal which was Green w Red stripe... and not the oil light... shpoop... I knew it was too good to be true...:(

1 - 20 of 51 Posts