Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of the availability of aftermarket intake/parts for the 09 R? While the performance of mine has shown no ill effects at 6,000-8,000 ft above sea level where I live, I will take it higher (up to 11,000 ft) Living in the Colorado Rockies, I've learned that more air is better. My Kawi KLX 300R and Ford F-150 each have some K&N mods. More HP, better MPG. Can the S3R be fit with the Daytona air induction rig?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Upon inspection and just searching around on my bike I think the main "intake problem" is where the air-inlet is behind the head lights gets squeezed down to about 1.5" wide. Some sport bikes I've seen have HUGE intake tracks (See R1). Taking the screen out of mine and throwing in a K&N did a lot of good but I would like to find a way to make that openeing bigger but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it since it's part of the frame.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm just saying. Getting air in is the key to making power before getting it out. I would assume Triumph has put all that crap in there to reduce the intake growl for "noise" control...

·
Registered
904 Posts
What are you going to use the extra couple horsepower for? :) It's not like the Striple needs more power, with the exception of special cases like the altitude issue.

Neanderthal

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
I'm just saying. Getting air in is the key to making power before getting it out. I would assume Triumph has put all that crap in there to reduce the intake growl for "noise" control...
I think the plastic piece is the only noise control piece. The rest is just the headlight mount.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I thought that plastic grill was there to keep larger objects from getting caught in the intake path.

McBandit - I have an easy solution for you. Nitrous. :D Imagine our sweet engine on juice!

Neanderthal

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
Hmm I should clarify reliability is my most preferred feature.

The grill can keep out objects but most ram air bikes have larger openings with no screens. The air box design is identical to the Daytona. It's designed in such a way that the air filter is out of the direct path and there is a large collection area in the front to catch debris and moisture with a drain hole at the bottom.

I'm pretty confident that the plastic piece is simply there as an intake noise silencer. Europe has pretty strict noise restrictions that include motor noise unlike the USA which just measures overall sound volume. Since the Street doesn't have any fairing and has an extremely short intake it produces a lot more ambient engine noise than the Daytona. If you take that plastic restrictor out you will notice the intake is quite noticeably louder. You can even hear if over ambient noise at freeway speeds when your not on the throttle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Look up under the headlights there is a little plastic screen that they put in as an intake noise silencer. Take it out and you nearly double the size of the intake.
Hey can someone post a pic of where this piece is (or was) ... so I can take out the proper bit!

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks -- now that I look for it I see it...

does removing it really make that much of a difference in terms in sound? I mean its just a lil plastic screen...

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
Yes it does increase the volume a noticeable amount. You'll note on removal that the intake area is increased quite a bit over the tiny screened area.

A word of caution if you live in an area where squirrels or mice like to build nests in or on your vehicles I wouldn't recommend removing this screen.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
It's not a problem at any mileage, so long as you don't crank the throttle hard open before it's time to do so. There's also no reason why an intake modification should require remapping.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts