Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody looking at aftermarket handguards for the XC? What options are out there for non-Triumph handguards that will also work with the Triumph heated grips. I am considering the Triumph ones that come on the XE but looking at other options too. Want something strong, good wind protection and hopefully not un-necessarily heavy.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Got to say that the XE guards are great. Not completely plastic, they actually have some metal in there, do a good job of keeping the wind off and look pretty snazzy too. They do a better job than the old Tiger guards I had on my old Scrambler and the guards that are on my Stelvio. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fair enough. I know another XE owner who likes them. They do have good fit and finish etc. I have heard they aren't the strongest. Just looking for other options as I have the winter months to shop and decide what I want.

Does anybody know what aftermarket hand guards work with the 1200 XC?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Guys
For what its worth - I heartily recommend alternative handguards to the Triumph ones. I have them on my 1200 XC and, stupidly, I dropped the bike at zero mph when it stalled and the front wheel tucked moving off at a right hander. The Handguard took the full impact and did its job inasmuch as it saved the brake lever - my hand was OK as it was 2 meters away along with the rest of me!
However, and this is my real concern, the aluminium brace is linked back to the bars at a clamp which is designed to look like two clamps; one for the brake lever and one for the 'guards. I wish it were two clamps. The impact moved the 'guard inboard, bending the clamp's bolts, breaking the clamp and leaving the front brake lever held onto the 'bars by just the one bolt and an 80 mile ride home.
Not happy.
Methinks the clamp is 'over designed'... for its appearance and ease of assembly, low cost, parts interchangeability etc. I get it, I really do.. BUT
I'm looking for something with a more substantial, separate, clamp onto the 'bars. Something that'll work when its needed.
Oh, and I'm considering the fuel booster as the bike has stalled on several occasions in similar conditions.
Ah well, first snowfall yesterday anyway - its snoozy time for the bikey.
Just my two pennorth.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have just fitted Barkbuster Storm handguards, with a universal 2-point fitting kit (as recommended on the Barkbusters web site) to my Street Scrambler.

They don't have a recommendation for the 1200 Scramblers. However, looking at the parts illustrations on the Fowlers and World of Triumph web sites, the Street Scrambler and XC 'bars, although not the same part number, appear to be the same design.

The 2-point kit has one mount that is held into the end of the handlebar, and a second mount that clamps around the angled part of the bar between the grips and the risers. It's supplied with 8mm (M8) countersunk head (CSK) bolts into expanding collars to go into the end of the handlebar. These do not fit the standard Street Scrambler 'bars, which have a plug with a threaded hole which takes a M6 CSK screw that holds the 'bar end trim.
The options are to either drill and tap the plug to take the M8 CSK screw supplied in the fitting kit, or to use a M6 CSK screw. The standard M6 screw in each 'bar end is 16mm long, and is OK for temporary use, but you really need one that is 25mm long (overall length including head).
Note that there is a universal single-point kit for handlebars that do not require an expanding collar. It looks like this kit is supplied with the necessary M6 screw.

I don't know if there's anything in the XC's handlebar layout that would interfere with the fitting kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Subscribed for interest. Seems like quite a few others who've taken spills on road or on trails have had the hand guards shear off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
N.B. ...I forgot to mention, I have Triumph Heated Grips to install. With stock bars and heated grips, I believe I am constrained by some limitations in terms of which hand guards I can use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts