Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 68 T100c that is all original. I am not the greatest mechanic on the planet especially when it comes to the older brits..A local triumph mechanic told me that if I replaced the Amal carb with an aftermarket keihin PWK that the bike would start and run much easier / better than if I were to rebuild the orig. Amal. He has also suggested replacing the points with a sparks electronic ignition kit. My main goal is to make the bike more rideable..Will the aftermarket carb make a big difference in easier starts? I am leaning against the electronic ignition, as I have heard mixed reviews about them. Any help advice, opinions, or insight would be greatly appreciared. Thanks

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
With the Amal, a closed choke and a good "tickle" (flooding the carb with the primer button) should produce a one or two kick start; can't ask for much more than that. Been doing it now for years and years and years and.............! I'm on my second set of points in my '70 and they were used ones when I got them about 15 years ago; take it from there!

But, what does the "village idiot" really know?? Jim

·
Registered
625 Posts
So, let me make sure I understand your local 'expert' ... a NEW 'aftermatket' carburetor will outperform a rebuilt 40 year old original carburetor ... he's right. While you're at it, a NEW Honda 1000 sportbike engine will also outperform your 40 year old 500cc Triumph engine. See? Ridiculous. Why not a NEW Amal carb? The one the bike was designed to use ... the one that has almost no moving parts and zero diaphrams ... the one the bike is already set up for ...

I just don't understand this ... EVERY time it baffles me.

He's right. A brand new Mikuni (or Del Orto, or Keihin, or PWC) WILL outperform your worn out old Amal ... but SO WILL A NEW AMAL!!

Triumph put Amals on their race bikes. The Italians were also using them on race bikes. They're good (and simple, and 'correct' looking on these machines) carburetors ... when they're in good shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the insight. My local "triumph guy" was leading me to believe that the Kehien PWK would produce easier starting than the orig AMAL..I was assuming that he meant an AMAL in proper working condition. I wasnt sure if the AMAL carbs were notorious for having hard starting issues, etc. Sounds like this is not the case. Seems like people are 50/50 on their opinions on electronic ignition. I was basically trying to get the bike to start easier. I have to "idle" the bike in for quite some time (5 minutes or so) to get it to idle without the choke on. I see many vids on youtube of guys starting thier triumphs on 1 kick or so and then its ready to go. Please excuse my ignorance on the older triumps. My bike is much older than me and I am turning to the experienced owners on this forum for their expert advice.

·
Registered
970 Posts
These (350/500 unit triumphs) are amongst the best Brit bikes around. I had one for over 90K miles. During that time I cannot say it started first kick -every- time, but I probably remember every one of the few times it didn't. In my opinion a 40 year working life seems to be quite reasonable. Be very careful before you start changing things, these were designed as a whole bike. Changing one thing here and there may well have a different effect to that which you expect. Unless you have a very good reason to change something I would say leave it as stock, or in a state where a stock part will fix/fit it. EG no reason not to fit better tyres (of the correct size) and use Multigrade oil (of the correct viscosity).
I have the sneaking suspicion that in 40 years time people will be fitting points to todays modern bikes because the factories no longer make suitable 'black boxes' :)

Put it another way, if you repair the points and carb now, would having to service it again in 2048 put you off? can you get a better guarantee with a 'modern' substitute ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a points adjustment and carb rebuild is in order. I will try this and see if it clears up my starting issues. Are there any other problems that could be making the bike so hard to start? The spark plugs are ok and everything else seems to be in order. After starting the bike will idle, but will stall if the choke is turned off. I am assuming that this is related to the carburater, and A rebuild will correct...like I said, I am not a mechanic, but rather am trying to get a bit ok knowledge before I take the bike to the shop. I would rather have a little education on the subject before I speak with the mechanic so that I know what I am getting myself into. Please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm with Snakepit, I replaced the Amal on my 73 750 Tiger with a JRC (PWK) and have been well pleased with ease of starting and overall performance. I did have to sort out a few issues in the beginning and still need to shut off the fuel to it when stopped or it will overflow, but the bike starts much easier and runs well. Depending on what air cleaner you are using, you may need a JRC intake manifold as well.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I've owned a '64 and '72 Bonneville that ran Amals and points. In good order and resasonably well tuned, Triumphs are not hard to start. My '72 will idle real low almost from start with no choke. Clearly I'm with the opinions here expressed to stick with Amals and points.

You will quickly develop a technique with you bike that will get it running in 1-2 kicks every time. when hot, it is 95% a 1 kick thing.

Best wishes.

Rod G

·
Registered
348 Posts
The JRC carb is the best at $100 brand new!!! to rebuilt a 40 year old carb will cost twice that much.and a new Amal $300-400 thats just crazy. well if you like to piss money away rebuild the Amal or buy a new. BUT FOR THE SAME MONEY YOU COULD GET A JRC CARB
$100 WORKS GREAT,SPARX ING $100-$150

TOTAL $200-300 BOTH ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE OLD MAN POINTS AND AMAL SPECIAL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts