Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know if there are some interchangeable parts I could use for the TBS from other bikes for the clutch/brake master cylinder or new?

I'm looking to move away from the stock TBS setup to more of a aftermarket that is lower profile but quality. My left one is shot from the crash.

Does anyone have experience with this? I suppose it comes down to bar size etc?

The Triumph dealer recommended Magura - https://www.magura.com/en/components/powersports/radialmastercylinders/productdetailpage/?p=1851

Looking for advice on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Ksound,
That looks pretty nice but I think you can find a lot below that price range new and especially used. Keep in mind that your handlebar is 7/8 of an inch so any harley components will not work but metric bike components will. If you look on ebay there are a lot of choices.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it looks nice and I agree a bit too expensive. I'd like to find an alternative. Also I need it to work with 1" bars.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Aftermarket Brake & Clutch master Cylinder for TBS?

Yes it looks nice and I agree a bit too expensive. I'd like to find an alternative. Also I need it to work with 1" bars.

You mean fatbars. Not 1” but 1-1/8” in the center that taper down to 7/8”

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if there are some interchangeable parts I could use for the TBS from other bikes for the clutch/brake master cylinder or new?

I'm looking to move away from the stock TBS setup to more of a aftermarket that is lower profile but quality. My left one is shot from the crash.

Does anyone have experience with this? I suppose it comes down to bar size etc?

The Triumph dealer recommended Magura - https://www.magura.com/en/components/powersports/radialmastercylinders/productdetailpage/?p=1851

Looking for advice on this. Thanks!

It’s not just about the handlebar size. The look of the stock ones bothered me too but I remember reading somewhere that the volume of the cylinder etc matters due to the math about the fluid compression etc.

I hope I’m totally wrong because i’d love to have smaller boxier (thunderbird clutch and brake master cylinders on my TBS)

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
It's the diameter and stroke of the piston that matters. Dual calipers require more fluid (twice as much) to move the pads the same distance, so the diameter of the master piston is larger. I'm sure there are similar master cylinders with different style reservoirs out there; it's just a matter if finding them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Correct I'm using fatbars. They are noticeably fatter on the grip side than the stock bars or 7/8" sized bars.

WSC: Many of these components offer a separate reservoir so you can customize the size that you need. I just don't know where to begin with the hardware options.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
WSC: Many of these components offer a separate reservoir so you can customize the size that you need. I just don't know where to begin with the hardware options.
As WSC said, it is the bore amd stroke of the piston that matters. Not the size of the reservoir. I have a modified setup on my Sprint with the dual 6 piston calipers from a Super III. The master cylinder had to be changed so the the master cylinder moved enough fluid when you pulled the lever to move more fluid to move the pistons far enough. ...J.D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also in the market for a new clutch master cylinder. As with the carbs which should be delivered this week the clutch master cylinder is snapped beyond repair.
Happy to go with a second hand part so any recommendations of a similar swap for the current one greatly appreciated. Was this one used on any other make or model?

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Bwmxo44 thanks for that spotted that alright. The only problem is the delivery to Ireland is $51.

So although the part is reasonably priced at $100 not sure why it costs $51 to post to me. Might end up with them if i cant find anything else.

Anyone else found a straight swap from an alternative make or model.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, but if you want to change front master brake cylinder (to look similarly) for legend’s one you need to check if it have the same fluid pressure, because legend thunderbird standard and adventurer has only one brake caliper in front. If not your front brakes will became worse. If you want to change both sides, go for old sprint/trophy ones (they have two brake calipers like TBS)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, good to know thanks for that. Probably just change clutch one for the moment as really want to get this bike on the road for the spring and the costs are mounting up. But I know after riding it for a few weeks looking at the two different ones will probably start to annoy me so will swap out brake one later in summer possibly.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
This is certainly not the place you want to cut corners. A properly paired master and wheel cylinder combination is important. Don't just put anything on there bcause it is cheap or the only thing you can come up with. Safety please. ...J.D.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So do any of the long time owners have some suggestions for the TBS?

Trying to figure out my master cylinder piston size. I found some helpful info. Here is a link about size calculation, and a reference to the piston size for the front calipers... The chart doesn't show 27mm pistons, it does show 28mm x 4 ( 2 pistons per caliper)

I think an 11/12mm psiton for the brake master would be in the preferred ratio described.

https://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

https://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/583402-non-triumph-front-brake-caliper-overhaul-kit.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts