Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and 243 posts to this forum trying to learn as much as possible about it, I finally bought . . . a Ducati GT1000. Ironically, I have this forum to thank, since I first heard about the Duc in a thread posted a few months back comparing the T100 with the GT1000. I checked the Duc out but felt new it was out of my price range. Then I saw where my local dealer had a used '07 and started thinking that it would probably meet my needs a little better than the Scram. While I love the Scram's high pipes, I knew I was going to ditch the stock muffs and couldn't feel assured that any aftermarket ones I liked the looks of weren't going to burn my young son's (and wife's) legs. Realistically, I didn't see myself really doing any offroading either. The Duc has all the attributes I wanted the Scram for - fat power band with lots of grunt down low, "modern classic" styling, and no worrisome (for me) high pipes. The GT's stock exhaust isn't quite as subdued either so no need for me to go aftermarket there.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the great replies and insight, and I hope to see some of you Central Texas guys out there on the road!

Take care-

Greg

·
Registered
184 Posts
GT's a nice choice

The GT was on my short-list, too - a very nice retro bike.

But I love my Scrambler!:D

Enjoy the bike.

·
30,527 Posts
Yes indeed, the Duc is a nice bike. Well, you just have to get the bike you like, that's all. At the end of the day - having a bike is what matters.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Ducce GT

Nest Best Thing.;)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
This is my favorite pic of the bike:

I would love to have one (and a V7, too!).
Like the GT1000 very much as well and considered one. At the end of the day, I preferred the riding position and handling of the Bonnie...GT has more of sport bike feel...didn't want to pay the heavy insurance premium and of course Italian reliability which probably isn't fair but Bonnies are less expensive with rock solid reliability and very easy to work on.
The GT1000 is a short wheel base and upright fork and low trail sport bike wrapped in retro style.
Aside the style of the bike, the thing I like the most about it is its power.
George

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Second-best to Scrambler

Bonne-Ducce?, old style heaven:)

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guys - just to elaborate a little more on my choosing the Ducati over the Scram:

Better all-around fit for me in all areas - physically, for the type of riding I plan to do, and financially. Being a 2 y\o consignment bike, it was over 1k less out the door than an '09 Scram would've been ('09 because I wanted FI which the Duc has). Insurance is surprisingly cheap - I'm only paying $50\yr. more than I would've for the Scram.

I researched Ducati reliability and maintenance costs extensively and the consensus among dealers and owners alike is that reliability has improved a great deal (many felt it was on par with Japanese bikes), and while maintenance intervals and costs have dropped, they're still about 20% more than what I'd pay on a Japanese bike. Still having a little over a year warranty on the bike gave me additional peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts