Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working with Andy at AFC Signals on a flushmount LED solution for the 765 series that doesn't cost crazy amounts of money (or incur long wait times for production).

Below are pictures of the results so far. Install is simple, if a bit fiddly on the left side as a result of the radiator hose mounting. Video link below as well (youtube).

https://youtu.be/UdGhwbWvzm4

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
completely understand

Nice. But I’m likening the Triumph LED turn signals. Can’t buy them here is the States so I had to buy on eBay from a UK dealer.
Sure - they look nice. I do want to note that these cost 1/3 of the Triumph LED signals....delivered. My goal was to find a super-affordable, yet premium solution (that was flushmount). I'm really happy now with these.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - the grooves look really nice in person....actually complement the lines of the signals and the bike (especially the Triumph frame sliders).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may have misunderstood this...

They look really nice! Will you be having them without those grooves they have?

Enviado do meu KIW-L21 através do Tapatalk
To be clear - I'm not the manufacturer or seller of these....I'm not getting any money from their sale, and I paid for my pair (with a discount for being the guinea pig for their design).

If you want them designed without the grooves...just send Andy an email at his site (just google AFC Triumph LED signals). He may very well be open to different types of sets, as he did a number of different colors for the Daytona signals he's been making for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got these but I'm having a hell of a time with the install. I can't get anything behind the fairing and in front of the radiator hose on the left side besides pliers (which only take me so far) and on the right side, I can get an 8mm socket back there but there isn't enough room to move it side to side. How did you tackle this?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow - I had no issues - mainly using my hands and a box wrench....It was fiddly on the left side, but doable.

It took a good deal of time doing one flat at a time with the box wrench, but you don't need much torque for these to stay in place.

It's been a bit since I put these on (maybe 3 months), so perhaps I'm remembering it incorrectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. Just joined as I just got a STR, 2018.
I ordered these lights from Andy using his website PayPal setup. Within days I got an email stating a shipping label had been printed, it's been 2 and still no item sent to usps, I understand these are custom lights and may take a while.
However, Andy has not responded to any follow up emails.

Can you guys comment on how long it took to get the lights, or if you lost contact for weeks at a time?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went with some heavily modified proton 500s.

I had them on the Honda Grom, so I knew what I had to mock up to get them to work....

I will try to get some pictures, but the results and look are very similar to what's posted above.

It was also quite difficult to get the nuts tightened behind the fairings with a wrench very little movement to get the nut attached but it's possible but I could see it being very frustrating if you don't enjoy wrenching on your bike.

I choose the protons again for their brightness levels and different flash modes that are all customizable via a magnet... Only drawbacks involve limited viewing angle from front of bike and installation is quite a few steps away from being plug and play due to difficult nuts and bolts install and adding a third wire for the running light.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anybody tried these with the 2020? The fairing on the side is a bit different than the 2017-2019 model so Im not sure how much of a difference this would make for installation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's a few photos of the Proton's 500. This set is specced for Honda Grom's so the shape and wiring is NOT setup for the Triumph. Keep in mind, you can order proton 500's specced for the Daytona that may be a different shape and more accurate wiring. Again, the ones installed and pictured are for a different model/bike

I would avoid ordering the spec that I got as I had to increase the bolt size (length) with some tinkering. I also added some wiring to activate the running lights, which is a feature of the proton 500's on this model. Wiring on the proton's was redone and I changed all connections to triumph standard sizes, so a few more parts were ordered to make this work plug and play. I opted for this version for more side visibility (daytime running lights always on), and it does not interfere with the blinking operation. Lastly, I had to customize and create about an inch to an inch and a half base (protrusion) that goes in between the proton 500's and the bike. This was done to extend the lights out a bit more for visibility in addition to creating a tapered/angled look so they are not straight when viewed from the front. It's a bit difficult to explain but if you were to view the lights from the side of the bike, the front of the light is closer to the bike (inset more), while the back of the light is pushed out further. Needless to say it took a bit of mocking up to create this stem/stock, but it works well and is secure. (For reference, I cut down a hockey puck and wittled it down with a razor and a Dremel, to match some cardboard cutouts and templates I made earlier. Each side consists of about half a puck of material to create the stem from the bike to the lights).

Left Side Lights

Right Side Lights

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great job Rummager on your successful adaptation of the Proton 500 flushmount turn signals onto your Street Triple 765 RS. You were very thorough as you considered improving the viewing, adding the driving light feature and modifying the mounting hardware to fit the tricky, space constrained mounting scheme on the 765 RS; you are very clever, skilled and to be commended
I just wanted to add my experience with the Proton 500 turn signals, I have them mounted on the front of my Yamaha R6 and R3. The Proton 500 LED Flushmounts are domestically made in Massachusetts by HighTechSpeed and offer a superior product than most imports. The LEDs are very high quality/very bright and the build quality is solid/first rate. The lens are CNC in a curved fractal surface that helps optimize visibility. They offer several blink and brightness modes programmed via a small magnet, overall a very high quality, well thought out product. Too bad they don't offer a direct fitment to the Street Triples (they only list fitment on the Daytona 675 and 955 @ $79.99), retrofitting them to the Street Triple might still be a possibility.
I'll also mention that HIghSpeedTech also has some very high quality, universal fit, small (only .875" diameter) bullet shaped LED turn signals called "X-Arc" Signals (109.99). The light output is amazing (brighter than OEM rear turn signals), built in a rugged CNC housing, beautifully finished in a diminutive package (mounted by M8 stem/nut). They are mounted on the rear of my R6 ane R3, and have been commented to about the brightness/good visibility.
It's really good to see a domestic company like HighSpeedTech producing world class aftermarket lighting at competitive prices; They are a tiny company and deserve some consideration in a mixed bag, aftermarket circus (too often populated with marginal products). Be seen and ride safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts