Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying replacement riding kit this year, and I was wondering if any of you who have used it could give me your opinion on Aerostich Darien range?.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have a one piece (Roadster?). They are quite excellent but take a while to break in.

The one thing, if you are into fashion, the Darien set up makes you look a bit ponderous or less sleak compared to leathers or even the Aerostich one piece. Obviously the big advantage is you can easily take off the top and go into your cafe a little more relaxed than taking off the one piece and hauling the whole mess around with you. I remember one time wearing my yellow one piece into a Sushi Bar. I think there were a couple of comments like where did you park the Space Shuttle etc..

I use my suit almost 100% for commuting. Once you get the hang of it, it goes on and off really quick over office clothes.

[ This message was edited by: ChuckofTahoe on 2007-01-05 08:09 ]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have two Roadcrafters, a HiViz one piece for commuting, and a red two piece for weekend use.

The Roadcraftes are really easy to wear, and good for commuting. the Darien is more waterproof, but I don't like the fact that the jacket and pants aren't zipped togther. i have visions of the jacket riding up of I ever have a spill.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I tihnk there is a Roadcrafter two piece that zips the top and botton together unlike the Darien.

Less sleek. The Roadcrafter one piece is slimming looking.

As far a being swvelte, I am not. When I first got the Aero on piece, it was kind of the suffed sausage look for me. I bought the Roadcrafter about a year ago in a 48. I have since lost about twenty lbs and am about a 46 now. The suit looks good though on the baggy side and is very comfy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a Road crafter suit....my only warning would be watch your sizing.....they will custom size anything for you and do an excellent job. this suit is the company's signature sales item and they pride themselves on making it right...expect to send it back once for alteration is you donot have standard body size.....I gained 20 lbs (beer) since buying mine and the was has proven to be an issue....
Call me crazy but I am actually warmer in leather. My arms get cold despite heated vest and grips. I do ride routinely in 30 degree weather.
Nothing on earth beats this suit in rain. It does have some appearance issues but people that ride in the rain and below 40 degrees get looks anyways. The one piece suit is nice once you get use to it. I would recommend it for anyone who does a good amount of riding in nontraditional weather conditions. I have black on gray and I wish I would have been alittle more daring on the color selection :-D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Darien is a nice product but it's way, way too expensive.

The Joe Rocket product gives the same protection for 1/3 the cost, and it's a very good product. The Icon product isn't so good, in my opinion. I had the Icon delivered and sent it back. The Joe Rocket I got was first rate. The Tourmaster is nice, but again, a little more dosh.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have read of FAR more people having bad experiences with Joe Rocket than with any other gear. Way too many stories of seems ripping open an minor crashes.

Gear is one place where I will not try to save a few bucks and go cheap. I'll spend a few extra bucks now o avoid Skin grafts later.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
On 2007-01-08 12:32, garp wrote:
I have read of ... bad experiences with Joe Rocket ...
My observation was from use and experience with the product, not hearsay from disgruntled pressmen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Although my JoeRocket Ballistic jacket probably saved my life, I absolutely LOVE my Darien! So much better quality and features. You get what you pay for...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
On 2007-01-05 02:41, CATUCK wrote:
Thinking of buying replacement riding kit this year, and I was wondering if any of you who have used it could give me your opinion on Aerostich Darien range?.
For the price of the Aerostich you could get the latest Rukka stuff. Absolutely 1st class.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On 2007-01-08 11:19, Jamo wrote:
The Darien is a nice product but it's way, way too expensive.

The Joe Rocket product gives the same protection for 1/3 the cost, and it's a very good product. The Icon product isn't so good, in my opinion. I had the Icon delivered and sent it back. The Joe Rocket I got was first rate. The Tourmaster is nice, but again, a little more dosh.
if i had a dollar for all of the Joe rocket/ icon trainwrecks that ive seen i could buy all of us a roadcrafter suit.

i second the motion to spend the money on an aerostitch, or any other high quality gear. check your sizing and have any options that you might even think about added. the suit will last a long time and is worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If anyone entertains buying a one piece, my advice on the sizing is to make sure you get the length right. Not so much the pant length (well that too I suppose) but the shoulder to stride length.

This is important to get right and don't settle for an off the shelf measurement unless it happens to be an exact match to your needs. If you must compromise, better too long than too short in this dimension.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
On 2007-01-14 08:47, ChuckofTahoe wrote:
If anyone entertains buying a one piece, my advice on the sizing is to make sure you get the length right. Not so much the pant length (well that too I suppose) but the shoulder to stride length.

This is important to get right and don't settle for an off the shelf measurement unless it happens to be an exact match to your needs. If you must compromise, better too long than too short in this dimension.
Quite right. Otherwise you'll end up with a high voice. :mad:

G

·
I went searching for quality riding gear last year after getting rearended on the interstate.
I had 2 months of recovery time to research the subject to death. I ended up buying Cycleport gear and am pleased with it, of course it aint cheap to buy.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts