Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of all the lowered Civics running around with half a Cessna bolted to their trunk lid, I felt compelled to defend the marque with a similar fashion statement.

This wing is yet to be covered with zirconium reinforced BRG dyed eel skin so a little imagination will be required. Neither are ailerons mounted, however they are expected to quicken turn-in once installed and functional. The airfoil is symmetrically designed such that handling will be predictible and familiar when inverted. I do not expect spectacular handling improvements until this mod is paired with radon pressurized tires. I have yet to fully understand the tie with backward baseball cap quantum physics.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
CLB, IMHO and a little knowledge in aerodynamics I would suggest that instead of eel skin you cover it with small mouth bass hide with scales.

I can understand your enthusiasm for eel skin being that it is fairly smooth but with Bass hide and the large end of the scales pointing toward the rear of the airfoil you will have built in vortex generators. This will mean a much smoother airflow across the entire cord of the airfoil with minimal separation which will contribute more down force (or upforce depending on which way you are pointed) with minimal induced drag.

Just my thoughts. Nice wing BTW, Whatcha building?

Don

·
Registered
28 Posts
You know, if you plan on leaning into a turn at all, you're going to have to add some vertical stabilization. Have you see the catastrophic results of when one of those Civics leans too far without the vertical stabilization? Usually it's bad, and I'm sure due to the fact that the wing then becomes vertical stabilization, and they lose the horizontal component...

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Am I the only one noticing the genius of his device? Not only is he planting the rear, he will never have to buy another battery, or charge it, because the eel skin will take care of that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caddy...
Millennium RC SSX. Symmetrical airfoil. Direct drive brushless, 4s LiFePo

OnD...
I'll use an isolated two-switch forward converter to reduce nominal eel voltage to 14.2, and try to avoid leaning back.

Dolson...
It's that aero vs. weight tradeoff thing.
Or possibly the CA fumes.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh man CLB that's good. I'd ride around with that wing on there for a few hours just for giggles. To complete the look, all you need now is a roll cage made from plastic pipe.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I'll use an isolated two-switch forward converter to reduce nominal eel voltage to 14.2, and try to avoid leaning back.
I don't know? Leaning back might be beneficial. I was listening to the Prostrate Hour last night on PBS and they were talking about the benefits of low voltage treatments. Just carry your credit cards in your front pocket. :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ok now I am irritated. How dare you CLB? I mean really I have been working on a similar design for the Bonnie crowd because they demand the best out of aerodynamics, and then you go and build this....

It is a direct copy of my system that I developed for the Bonnies. I just can't beleive it. This must be some sort of copyright infringement. You have completely ruined my plans for motorcycle wing domination.

To prove what I am saying I will open the door to my top secret lab, CallWorks:

LOOK FAMILIAR????? You will notice that I have made a better design by using the v-wing. I also have taken OnD's advice and put in an auxillary outlet where I have plans to market an array of plug ins such as a Protrate stimulus since the Bonnie Crowd is a touch older.

I will conede the Sprint Market to you CLB but everything else is open competition!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Very nice, Cal. Though, you might want to reconsider your lift vector. :rolleyes:

What is that on the floor next to the bike? Is that your ground protection pad as you handle the Prostrate Stimulator? Looks like it might have originated in Thailand?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Its my magic carpet, OnD..... duh.... common. I thought everyone had one.... dont they....

I just sit on it when I working on the bike and it levitates or lowers depending on what I am working on.

I got it at Ikea. It was like 3 bucks. Don't tell me I am the only one....

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
YES! I see the method of your madness Calliway! Dihedral. More stability yes but where but what you fail to remember is that in a turn the bike in that condition will want to right itself. With the angle you have chosen you will constantly have to use control inputs to correct into the turn. And loose some weight man! that thing is built like a Sherman Tank. You'll have to add winglets to offset the weight. Think Orka or the wing on a 737-700.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ah but I have plans to conteract the lift during a turn. The ailerons arent on yet but when you lean to the left the left aileron will drop and create drag on the left and vice versa on the right. Yeah it's built like a tank but so is the Bonnie.

Out pure Coincidence its the wing of my Sig Kadet Mark II which is just a touch smaller then the Senior that Caddydaddy flew. I am building this for my son. It's a trainer so yeah, built like a tank. Wonderfully balanced and just walking with it in your hand you can feel the lift.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think that a swept wing with less aspect ratio would be better for my high speed Sprint. Spoilers would have to be installed since reverse thrust is out of the question. Also, I was concerned with angle of incidence on both of those bikes but I guess it depends on the mass of the pilot.

Eel skin? I was thinking of filleting a stingray and just slipping it right on with the barb still attached.

~chip

1 - 20 of 37 Posts