Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 ST is suffering from significant vibrations and I'm pretty stumped as to the cause. :confused: I've got it booked into a triumph dealership in a couple of weeks to do a valve and shim check, balance the throttle bodies and inspect/adjust/replace the cam chain, but I'd really like to know if I'm missing something obvious.

Any help is much appreciated, I know there are plenty of knowledgeable and experienced folk out there.

I've done searches and there's a good thread on the tiger pages, but no conclusions or apparent ways to solve their issues.

The vibes become very noticable from above 4k rpm that can be felt through the bars, pegs and also the frame and tank. They are at a fairly high frequency and it causes numbing / tingling in my hands, feet and posterior if I'm riding for more than 30 mins.

It's not speed or gear dependant and if I'm at revs and pull the clutch in they are still present (albeit a bit less) until the revs decline and they clear. There is no effect on performance.

Recently I've got new tyres, changed the coolant, brake fluid, air filter and spark plugs, but don't think any of these are the cause.

The sprockets and chain are in good condition, lubed well and at the correct tension.

Thanks for any of your inputs - if you want any more info, just ask.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
It sounds like you have a misfiring cylinder.

Not knowing if you had the problem before you performed the maintenance actions you mentioned-

If you have any wrenching skill, you might try to check your spark plug wires, boots and then the plugs themselves.

Take a look at theTB butterflies and see if they crack at the same time when you ease open the throttle.

Do you have a Check Engine lamp illumination?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: advice please - engine vibrations

pushr0d, thanks for the response.

The vibrations happened after the mods, but not immedialtely. I've had the tank and airbox off since and looked things over and all are as expected, but I didn't check if each spark was firing, or swap them around. Not having experienced a misfire, I don't know what one feels like, but this vibe is very uniform and there is no real change in sound or performance from the engine. I don't get any pops or bangs out of the exhaust either.

The check engine light is not illuminated. If there was a misfire I thought this would be picked up by the engine management, but not sure how sophisticated the triumph onboard diagnostics are.

The throttle bodies all open as expected and I lubed the cable last time I was there just to make sure it was ok too.

I guess I could put the old spark plugs back in (if I still have them - or new ones) and see if it persisted.

MP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iceman,

The mileage is 18.5k, but I do not know the full history of the bike as I bought it with 16k on it. Servicing had been adhered to by the previous owner, but not sure if they did the full service inc. valves at 12k. He didn't seem to ride it hard, the bike is in very good condition and the previous tire was pretty square :eek:

The engine mounts are all intact and although I don't have the correct torx tool to adjust, they are all tight.

For additional info, the spark plugs I took out were all in good shape with no obvious defects or indications anything was wrong with one of the cylinders.

MP

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Check your engine mount torques.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow up after dealer service

I know its been a while, but thought I'd post an update on the findings so far.

I checked out all the Engine Mounts and found (or created) a probelm with one. Naturally I loosed in order to re-torque to the correct setting, but after undoing the left rear mount, it would neither come out or go back in.

Although not ideal, this actually helped the situation a little - it isolated the load bath from the engine to the frame so the vibes actually reduced a bit.

The bike has just been in to the dealer and had its valves checked/adjusted, throttle bodies balanced and also had the cam chain checked at that time. They fixed the problem with the engine bolt and I'd love to say all is resolved but not quite.:SadSigh:

Although not as severe, I still have an anoying vibration that will limit my time in the seat. I did notice that one of my breather pipes was out of position and blocked by part of the engine, I've put this back to normal.

If things continue I guess I'll go back and swap out the spark plugs and see if this helps. I do hope I can get it sorted, I've got avery long trip planned.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know its been a while, but thought I'd post an update on the findings so far.

I checked out all the Engine Mounts and found (or created) a probelm with one. Naturally I loosed in order to re-torque to the correct setting, but after undoing the left rear mount, it would neither come out or go back in.

Although not ideal, this actually helped the situation a little - it isolated the load bath from the engine to the frame so the vibes actually reduced a bit.

The bike has just been in to the dealer and had its valves checked/adjusted, throttle bodies balanced and also had the cam chain checked at that time. They fixed the problem with the engine bolt and I'd love to say all is resolved but not quite.:SadSigh:

Although not as severe, I still have an anoying vibration that will limit my time in the seat. I did notice that one of my breather pipes was out of position and blocked by part of the engine, I've put this back to normal.

If things continue I guess I'll go back and swap out the spark plugs and see if this helps. I do hope I can get it sorted, I've got avery long trip planned.....
Did you ever get this issue resolved? My 05 Sprint does the same thing. 17K miles on the clock and no idea if the previous owner had the 12K service done or not. I bought the bike from him with just over 12K miles on it. I changed grips to something squishier and softer and it didn't help my vibrations any whatsoever. It really only affects my hands, as the vibes transfer through the clip-ons mostly. I don't notice anything in my feet or arse much.

Any help is much appreciated if you figured out your gremlins....:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
progress

Tom05sprintst,
I've done a couple of extra things since my last post. New iridium spark plugs (old regular ones were a bit white) and a new battery - last one died. I also had the engine map reloaded as I suspected I reset it during the coolant change, reinforced by the spark plugs which indicate I was running a bit lean.

Also made some cutouts for under the clipons. I cut some faux carbon fibre sheets, which is a rubber/plastic material only about a mm thick and used this to try and isolate some of the vibes.

I've thought about some new grips (pro-grips I think make some gel based ones that I think would work pretty well) but not done that yet.

The big test was just completed, road 1650 miles in 2 and a half days from TX to MD where I have just moved to and wasn't in too much discomfort. Still got a numb arse and hands (expected anyway with the mileage covered), but never to the point where I had to stop and didn't have any ill effects after the days rides were completed.

The throttle body balance and valve clearances (along with the engine mount) made the biggest differences. The bike doesn't use any oil and runs a pretty constant 46mpg average, so I guess I just have a buzzy motor. I wonder if there may be a suspect bearing in the driveline for the front sprocket, but that's purely speculation and conditions haven't changed.

I suppose I'm partly paranoid about it and look for the problem, but my RS was creamy smooth as is a friends 02 daytona.

So for your situation, I would get the throttle bodies balanced and the valves checked. I know it costs, but if you specify to your dealer that you only want these two jobs doing, they should keep the costs down. I do my own servicing in general so didn't get anything else like an oil change or that.

Next oil change (to be done shortly) and I'm going to swap from 5w40 fully synthetic Shell Rotella T to a 15w40 or 15w50 oil and see if that changes anything.

Best of luck.
MP

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm currently using a 15w50 fully synthetic oil and have been since I've owned the bike, so I can rule that out.

I put some crash bars on it a while back and need to check that the bolts are tight, as they are both motor mounts from what I can tell.

Other than that, the Pro Grips that I got are comfy but do nothing for my low frequency vibrations. I'll just keep chipping away systematically at the options until something makes a differece.

Thanks for the reply. Always helpful. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 06 sprint has been starting to get vibration in the handle bars that is making my hands go numb. It just clicked over 14,000 miles without anything done but oil changes and chain cleanings. It is a steady buzz feeling that goes away when I pull the clutch in. I haven't noticed any performance drop. It is going in to get inspected tomorrow so hopefully they can give me some ideas as to what the issue might be. Any advice would be helpful though.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Last night....I dove in head first with my 05 Sprint.

First, I changed the oil and filter to new 15w50 Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic. Took it out for a ride and got it to the worst RPM for my particular low frequency vibration - 4,000 RPM. Still there.

Second, I pulled the farings off and tightened down all the motor mounts. Took it for another ride, still there.

Side note: There are NO ISOLATORS at the motor mount locations on my bike.....it's just the motor connected to the rigid frame without any vibration isolation whatsoever. It's no wonder the motor vibes get transmitted through the frame and into your feet and hands. :mad:

Third, I pulled the front sprocket cover and cleaned out all the gunk from past chain lubes, relubed the entire chain and both sprockets. Took it for another ride, still there.

Fourth, I tightened up the chain a bit. Took it for another ride. Still there.

Fifth, I pulled the tank and the air box, marked the original positions of the screws that modify the balance of the throttle bodies, and then moved the two outside screws very slightly counterclockwise....I mean very slightly, like BARELY moved. Put it all back together. Before setting the tank back in place, I started the bike to be sure that it would run with the adjustment and it was fine. Idle was up maybe 200 RPM from what it was before the adjustment. Took it out and the vibration was cut in half at least.

It was late enough that I had to call it a night and hit the sack. I am going to take it out again this evening with the heat of the day still up near 90 degrees and see how it runs. I will post back here with my results later this evening or tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, it seems my decrease in vibrations through the bike were unfounded. I took the bike out for a ride last evening during the hot part of the day, and the vibes were still there.

I plan to pull the tank back off tomorrow evening and adjust the settings in the other direction (clockwise a touch from their original settings) and see how that works. I know I'm not doing this the "scientific" way, but I can always put it back to what was original if needed.

Anyone know the part number for a good replacement o2 sensor for the 05+ Sprint ST's? I can't find a part number anywhere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ever find a solution to the vibe?

I know this thread is pretty old, but wonder if you ever found a source for the engine vibe... I've been getting a similar buzz on my 07 Thruxton.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Progress...

I still have a bit of vibes, but it's definitely accatable now and I only have a couple of more investigative changes to make to see if they will alter anything.

Have you done anything to your Thruxton recently?

One of the more recent things I have done is a coolant swap to engine ice - in part to get the engine to run a couple of degrees cooler, as the vibes are definitely more noticable when its hot.

A coolant swap was also one of the things I'd done before the vibes really set in.

It seemed to help a little, but that may have been down to the cooler temps. My bike definitely likes it on the chilly side - you can tell we're both from the UK :D

Other things to do are put back on my original exhaust (instead of 2bros), but keep the TOR tune and also do a full chain and sprocket swap, but it will only get done when I need it.

MP

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 08 ST suffers with the vibration issue also,so far I have had the throttles balanced and chain adjusted all to no avail,I took the R+G crash bungs off last week as I wondered if the two side bars were transmitting the vibes,but this did not work either,so I am pretty flummoxed:confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 06 still has the engine vibration even after I had the 12k service done on it. Spent $800 for that service I don't have the money to have someone else try to figure it out. Please let me know if you find anything.
~chip

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Trying to remedy engine vibrations above idle by doing a throttle body balance is a waste of time. All that indicates is someone does not understand the process.

Addressing engine vibrations by re-torquing the motor mounts is logical. But only if it is done by starting with completely loosened fasteners and then strictly per the engine installation steps. That will require some factory tools or reasonable facsimiles.

Going at the mount bolts willy nilly is asking for $$$trouble.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I was under the weather for a while but am fit and hale now.

I did look at the forum a few times while not participating and can say that some have been playing a tad free and loose.....and getting away with it......for a while. ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts