Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm considering trading in my 1995 Thunderbird for a 2005 Sprint ST. The dealer is offering me $2500 but I think its not enough. He said he will be selling it for around $3100.

It's got just over 6k on it, its been jetted, tor pipes, corbin gunfighter, chrome radiator ends and a triumph summer screen on it.

Any advice on the trade in or about how much if I sold it on my own?

Thanks,
O-

·
Registered
472 Posts
The dealers have to hold inventory for quite a while with used bikes especially in these economic times. Just as a base line....I bought my 95 Tbird with 1500 miles on it...came with chrome radiator covers/TOR's/Summer screen/saddle bags/chrome rear brake cover/a couple other chrome options.....I paid just over 4K some years ago.....to be honest, if I was to sell it now, with all the mods I have in the bike and 20k now on the bike, I would be looking to get around 3K for it now.....but that isn't in my plans

I think the dealer is making a fair offer but thats IMO. I would actully work the dealer now on taking some off the cost of the new bike, now that you have an amount on your trade settled.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Probably won't do much better than that on trade. You may be able to get between $3-4k selling it yourself, if it has been well maintained.

I agree with Patrol if that is the way you want to go, and you might try to get them to throw in some accessories on the bargain.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm with Svey.....a perfect solution.......keep the Sprint for dailey use and mod the crap out of the Bird...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Unless you're in a real hurry, you'll make out better selling the bike yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love nothing more than to just by the Sprint and mod the Thunderbird. The Thunderbird is the only bike I ever had that when I twist the wick and hear that scream I can't help thinking, god I love this f**king bike!

·
Registered
435 Posts
find a lot of ways to get exposure if you sell it yourself. If you're firm on a price, it may take longer. Eventually it should sell. Be patient!

check on craigslist, other places - cycletrader, etc - for current or historic ASKING price (just because something was listed at a price, didn't mean it never came down - I talked a dealer down $2000 on a used bike once).

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'll just mention that I have never sold or traded something that I enjoyed without regretting it later. Whether cameras or firearms or whatever I was into at the time. There is just something about these classic triples and their increasing scarcity that would make me really think about disposing of one. This is only my second bike, but it will still have my name on the registration when they bury me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll just mention that I have never sold or traded something that I enjoyed without regretting it later. Whether cameras or firearms or whatever I was into at the time. There is just something about these classic triples and their increasing scarcity that would make me really think about disposing of one. This is only my second bike, but it will still have my name on the registration when they bury me.
Hmmm, I wonder what my '96 Adventurer would be worth? 4,800 actual miles. Totally stock except for chrome rear master cylinder cover. It's a beautiful motorcycle, in extra clean condition. KBB shows retail value at $2195. I find it hard to believe that it's not worth more than that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's only worth what the local market will bear regardless of what Blue Book states.....I always thought that their motorcycle price listings were a bit tounge in cheek....

anyhow, seeing what folks are paying on ebay, etc....if the bike is very clean and in good working order...yours is very low milage....I would be listing it around 3500-3800......

There is a 95 Black Tbird with more miles (aprox 8k) on EBAY right now that is selling for 4200 from a dealer. Thats without shipping......

Me thinks these bikes might start appreciating a bit as they beome more and more scarse....

·
Registered
111 Posts
3 weeks ago I bought a blue '95 with 15k on it. It was in really good shape, still shinning with only a little pitting on on the engine and rear wheel. Stock pipes. Center stand. Triumph full windscreen. Recent sprocket and chain. It only needed a new front tire that I just got on it today. I paid 2550 on ebay and at the time thought I got a killer deal. I would have preferred black but the blue is pretty sharp too and I don't see them around much.
You will always do better selling it yourself. Heck if you posted it here on this site and I saw it three weeks ago I would have taken it off your hands for sure, even at a higher price than I paid. Last year I had a '98 VFR with only 1,500 miles on it. It was showroom condition. The dealer offered me $3000 for a trade in on a new KLR. I sold it myself the next week for $4800. Dealers have to make money though so I figured I would have to sell myself. Some people are able to put up with selling it, others would take less to avoid the hassel. Maybe you would consider selling it on this site. You'll only get triumph people and avoid the general public.

Now, if you are selling, any chance you might be selling the aftermarket pipes separately? I really, really want them but I can't afford to go buy new right now.
Just a thought if you have stock ones you could sell with the bike. Not sure you'd get much different price from the dealer with the aftermarket ones. Better off selling them to me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts