Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. seriously considering the Thunderbike 3-1 chrome system for my Legend. I know a few of you have this system. Would you like to comment on the noise level? The vids on their website are hard to judge regarding actual db levels.
I don't mind a louder sound so much (so long as my ear drums stay intact, musician you know). I just dont want to be constantly pulled over by the rozzers for being anti-social whilst hooning round fair London town. What I would like to know is, are they obnoxious H-D screamin eagle loud or classy Ducati termignominimi(?) loud?

Im also considering the K&N pod filters but not decided yet.

Any thoughts...

Wayne

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wayne,
I have this exhaust and really like it. Quality was very good. Should be for that cost, right? :-D The sound is lovely. My neighbor has a Harley with screaming eagle pipes and his are MUCH louder than mine. A guy down the street has a Ducati with the stock exhaust, mine is louder than his, but not so that it is obnoxious. Cruising around town and the neighborhood I take it easy and nobody even looks my way, but open it up and it sounds like a proper bike exhaust. Does that make sense?
You should be prepared to re-jet, only the pilots were required to get rid of the popping on decel. I think I went to a 42. Can check if you need me to. If you open the exhaust you really should consider the intake. I can't tell you anything about the K&N pods, but I went with the K&N performance filter. Combined they make a pretty big difference in the bike.
Post up some pics when you get it done and let us know what you think. You can see pics of mine in the Photo Album.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,
I checked them out a few times and they look really goodlly quality. What I couldn't live with is the fact that they have to be taken off to get at the oil filter, and I think I prefer twin sided if not double stacked. Personal opinion obviously!
They sound noisy on the vid but it's hard to tell. For that money you could pick up the dual-system ones offered by mecatwin.

In the end I've just ordered this afternoon the Triumph aftermarket silencers from Jack Lilley. For 299GBP /438€ shipped (with the JL member's card) they seem like the best price-quality silencer. Owners of them seem happy too!!

Good luck with your choice!!

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
One of the Thunderbike systems needs to be removed to change the oil filter.

I am not sure if it is the chrome or stainless version (they are different).

Someone got some more infor on this?

·
Registered
492 Posts
The chrome ones do not have to come off for an oil change. According to their website from when I was looking the stainless steel did require you to remove for an oil change.

I should also mention the only drawback I see with this system is if you should want to mount any luggage. The rear of the pipe comes up higher that the stock exhaust so that could be a problem depending on how you plan on using the bike.

·
Registered
156 Posts
(Warning - Long Post)

I quite like my Thunderbike exhaust system. The sound is not too loud - I found it to be well represented by the sound clips on their website.

I did have some problems dealing with the company. But everyone else seems to have no problems with them. In the end, they have taken care of everything, and I would do business with them again.

It was hard for me to get in touch with them. I emailed two different people there and got no response. I called them directly (something I did not want to have to do) about two weeks after I sent my emails. I got in touch with Jason, who is in charge of export sales. He was very personable, very informative, and very helpful.

I made my order - The stainless system they have advertised on their website. I was aware that I would have to remove them every time I changed the oil filter or put the bike on my jack. I was willing to deal with that in order to get stainless.

They did not have the system in stock. They told me it would take one week to fabricate one and another week to get it to me (Ohio, USA). I was totally fine with that. It was like I was having a pipe built just for me. He told me that they would email me when it was completed and ready to ship. One week came and went - no email. After two weeks I emailed him to ask about it. He called me at home and told me it was finished and had been shipped-out.

I got the pipe shortly after. However, the pipe they sent me was not the one I ordered. It looked like the chrome version they offer, but it was stainless. I emailed him. He called me, explaining that they must have built "another" pipe like that - A stainless pipe that was in the mold of the chrome one. He admitted their mistake and offered to take it back and return it for the one I ordered. Ultimately, I was fine with this pipe. I just could not understand how this could happen with a $900 item.

Next Problem - I went to fit the pipe to my bike. You have to assemble the pipe. The three downpipes need to be fitted into the collector. Mine would just not line-up. I pushed them as far as I could into the collector, but the pipe was still too long (The hole in the mount - where it attaches to the rear peg mount - was farther back than the rear peg mount hole) I looked at the mount on the pipe: It was stamped SPORT. I emailed them with this new information. They told me they have obviously made a mistake and sent me the wrong mount.

A week later I got the correct mount. I then successfully fitted the pipe to my bike. One problem. Where I pushed the downpipes into the collector they became scratched, naturally. Now that the pipes did not have to be inserted as deeply as I thought, the scratches are now visible. I emailed them about this, they called me and told me they would send me new ones, or I could have mine polished and they would reimburse me. I am currently dealing with this latest problem.

In the end, I really like the pipes, but it was a Pain to deal with them. However, I would do business with them again. Unfortunately they seem to be just like any other motorcycle service shop - You must hold their hand through every step of the process. Do not assume they know what you need. Be very specific with them about everything

Sorry for the novel,

- Ryan

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys.
Huge thanks for all the info. Especially Rhinoe, I will make sure I keep on top of them when I order. Sounds like a bit of a drag but glad it all got sorted eventually.
I will be ordering the chrome 3-1 next week (when my paycheques clear). and with luck will have a rorty ride by the new year.
I will keep you informed...

Cheers guys,
Wayne

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Wayne, unless you really want a 3 into 1 system, check out Predator. They make some lovely stainless cans for the TBS. They are about 3 inches shorter than stock and a lot lighter. Regarding the sound, I've had mine for about 2 weeks now but haven't been able to hear them because I still haven't been able to fix my faulty Datatool alarm (finally admitted defeat, got someone to come and look at it next week).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too put the Thunderbike 3-into-1 chrome system on my Legend. It did take a couple of phone calls to the company before I got a real person, but they were responsive to emails. They were also pleasant to deal with, and got my order right (I order some other parts also).

The pipe was a bit of a pain to fit initially ... it just takes a bit of patience. I found that you need to tighten everything up at the engine side, then deal with the rear mount. I had to slightly enlongate the hole in the mounting bracket to get a proper fit. The build quality and chroming of the pipe is superb. And get new exhaust gaskets, otherwise you'll probably have leaks.

The sound level is definately louder than stock, but not to the extreme. It has a nice bark to it, and you can hear it while riding.

No regrets on getting this pipe ...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I second what Gator said about installation. I too found it easiest to connect the engine side first. The process can be a little frustrating. I found it beneficial to get a friend to help support the end of the pipe while you insert the downpipes into it. They can also ensure that the pipe does not scrape against the rear of the bike, causing scratches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts