Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I need some advice. I just had a pretty bad accident with my 2010 T100. The bike actually made out much better than I did and regardless of riding since I was 10 years old the accident left me re-thinking street bikes altogether. (at least now in this town)

My question is, should i sell the bike AS IS, or try to repair the damage. The damage is moderate, probably about 2-3k. It seems that it would be a tough sell for anyone who wants to ride immediately.

Suggestions, advice and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
regardless of riding since I was 10 years old the accident left me re-thinking street bikes altogether. (at least now in this town)
Not knowing the details of you crash (note that I did not call it an accident)
It would be far better if it left you thinking 'How should I be riding in this town?' and 'How could I have avoided this crash?'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point

I high sided after hitting a beyond nasty pot hole, conveniently placed after a beautiful twisty. I did several things wrong and I think about it every single night. However, the look on my kids faces when the ambulance dropped me off at the hospital was enough to make me temporarily reconsider riding.

I love bikes and I'll return to them eventually but that basically scared the sh$t out of me.

The damage is really only to the wheels, gas tank, left side clutch assembly, headlight brackets and headlight. My ace bars are toast but I have the stock bars I can put back on them. Bike has the custom BC performance upgrade and power commander. It's beautiful and I'll miss it terribly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I'm glad you are alright. Family first in my book.

If it were me I'd fix it and sell it if the insurance will pay for the repairs after I pay the $500.00 deductable. I would NOT put $2K - $3K of my money into the bike and then try to sell it.

If you are going to try and sell it sans repairs think about selling it part by part (EBay or Craigslist or something like that). You'll get a lot more money out of it that way. Pinwall Cycles doesn't make money by selling wrecked bikes. They do very well selling good parts off of wrecked bikes.

Just my $0.02...

Joel

Ps. I did the Alpina STS kit last year. I still have the steel front and rear rim along with the spokes and spoke nipples. They are in like new condition. Yours cheap if you want them.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
I don't know where you are, but you might consider submitting a claim to the local authority responsible for that road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
By the time I got out of the hospital they fixed the road. So I couldn't take any pictures of defects prior to their repair. Imagine a foot drop off into a 3 foot by 2 foot bowl. The way they had it set up I didn't see it until I was literally right on it. However, I should of bailed off the back and not tried to ride it through after the first landing.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Evan,

I totaled a 05 T100 last May, I was back up on another bike within 2 weeks. My son and wife where the first people on scene after my accident. He is 31 y/o. But he did
see me being brought home in a truck when he was real young 5 y/o, after a crash.
All 3 of the kids where upset. But they accepted it as what Dad does.

Sure your kids where upset.
The same thing could have happened in a car, you could have been taken by ambulance to the hospital, would you stop driving a car ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts