Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I read about it and it finally happened to me that the rear lamp mountings failed, only bit on an Adventurer not over engineered. Simple cure is with two gommets and some steel tube with suitable length fasteners. Drill out the rear lamp on the two outer mounts to accept the grommet, tight fit is good, cut two lengths of metal tubes, mine were brass but steel will do so they are about 30thou less than the depth of the grommet and insert. Drill out the lamp mount backet to 6.5mm, install fixings 6mm dia with washers either side of the grommet and bolt up.
If this sounds confusing look at the way (dare i say it) the japs shock mount stuff, ie clocks etc and the idea is easy to copy. Had no trouble since and no blown filaments due to vibes.:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well I read about it and it finally happened to me that the rear lamp mountings failed, only bit on an Adventurer not over engineered. Simple cure is with two gommets and some steel tube with suitable length fasteners. Drill out the rear lamp on the two outer mounts to accept the grommet, tight fit is good, cut two lengths of metal tubes, mine were brass but steel will do so they are about 30thou less than the depth of the grommet and insert. Drill out the lamp mount backet to 6.5mm, install fixings 6mm dia with washers either side of the grommet and bolt up.
If this sounds confusing look at the way (dare i say it) the japs shock mount stuff, ie clocks etc and the idea is easy to copy. Had no trouble since and no blown filaments due to vibes.:D
That's an awful lot of work. What I did was to take some fuel line with an i.d. that was a bit bigger than the mounting screws and cut two pieces each about 3/4 inches in length. Then I slipped a metal washer over each bolt,slid the longer bolts through the mounting holes in the tail light bracket, placed a piece of fuel line over each bolt, placed another metal washer on each bolt, then attached the tail light housing with a nut on each bolt. I didn't have to do any drilling or other modifications.

The fuel line is rigid enough to act as a spacer but since it can be compressed somewhat, it also keeps tension in the attachments which helps to keep the bolts and nuts secure. I have used this set up for over a month now and my quick fix seems to have worked well--it certainly was easy to do.

Modification parts list:

Three 3/4 inch lengths of 1/4" rubber fuel line
Six flat washers
Three 1 inch bolts
Use existing nuts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here´s a nice mod that was made by a previous owner of my -01 Adventurer. What I understand he removed all the original stuff, made a new backplate, bolted it on the orig mountings, and then cut a piece of 5-6 mm thick see-through fiberglass plastic, onto which he riveted the bulb-holders you see in the pic. Two bulbs for the rear light, and two for the break. There are two threaded holes for the orig red plastic piece, which is nicely tucked in under the fender. I guess he put a few hours in to this, and I think the result is perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
It just happened to me today and was so weird and kind of pissed off since I just bought the bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts

So after my lens broke off during a ride. I decided to hook a side license plate holder and brake tail light. Of course take off the stupid heavy rear fender.

So I attached the tail light to the rear frame and hooked up the three wire to correct colors Black with, black Red with Red and Blue with Blue.

Didn't noticed until I got home but the rear light was out??? Then I put a new fuse and it worked fine until I hit the brake.

The fuse were blowing... Huh?? Blowing I blew like 5 fuse and realized something is wrong. I thought maybe my wires were shorting out due to wires touching some where.

Discovered after the light was off he body the brake light was working properly. Attached to rear frame.. bam!! it blew again... Ugh... so for some reason the tail should not touch the frame.

I guess the body isn't ground for the tail light. So I went about attaching rubber grommets the tail light and license plate holder. It's working fine now...

How stupid???? Doesn't make sense but I guess it's a English way to wiring up a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Unhook all three wires and probe them (on the light) with an ohm meter. One is connected to ground and you apparently have it hooked to the brake hot wire (blue) on the bike. Or, try swapping the blue and black wires.

On the bike's wiring, black is ground, blue is brake light and red is running light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unhook all three wires and probe them (on the light) with an ohm meter. One is connected to ground and you apparently have it hooked to the brake hot wire (blue) on the bike. Or, try swapping the blue and black wires.

On the bike's wiring, black is ground, blue is brake light and red is running light.
Actually I just found out that my new lights were hooked up incorrectly. I used the Red to Red and Black to Black and Blue to Blue.

When I opened the new lights Black is should connect to blue and blue should be ground.

Ugh stupid lights turned out to be the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts