Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum and new to the post, with that said I'm having some problems that are not really covered on the forum that I can find, my Adventurer seems to be overheating. I changed the coolant because it was brown, kept ketting overtemp light with the fan so I changed the thermostat. No more light but the fan comes on before and after short 10 minute rides on a cool day (60f) I dont think the fan should be coming on but I could be wrong. after a quick highway run the fan was running on shut down and continued to run for a couple of minutes. last year this never happened and the fan only came on on hot days when I was sitting in trafic. I ran it at idle for 20 minutes, the fan came on and went back off after a few minutes. so the question is, do I have a problem or is this normal? thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air in the system can cause overheating too.
yes, I have read that, I was very carefull to fill the system, fill to top of bleeder plug rocking the bike to get rid of all air, after riding and the fan coming on ( no light ) I checked the level and it was good, all the way to the top of the bleed plug, There does not apear to be any coolant loss. I just finished flushing and ran a cleaner/flush system thru it. I am going to flush again and service the coolant with a coolant additive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
coolant

My buddy turned me on to a product called Engine Ice. It comes premixed and seems to do a good job. It does say not to add water to it so one bottle might not be enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy turned me on to a product called Engine Ice. It comes premixed and seems to do a good job. It does say not to add water to it so one bottle might not be enough.
yes, I am going to try it, unfortunately when I was reinstalling the hoses after the clean and flush, I diced the oring in the lower pump hose so I will have to wait untill tommorow, unless I have to order it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I used a standard neoprene O ring when I had to replace mine. I just matched it from a kit I had. I've got the Engine Ice in mine and it works well but it is expensive. You might go on the Kawasaki Concours forum and do a search for Steve in Sunny Florida's coolant cocktail. It is supposed to be excellent for cooling. It's a mix of distilled water, antifreeze and water wetter. Maybe something else. I'm not sure how low a temp it protects to, since he is in Florida.
HTH

Try Concours Owners Group or COG

·
Registered
277 Posts
found it for you

I haven't tried it, but based on the rest of the info Steve supplies, it should work.

"The last recipe I found (from May 2008) for Steve's coolant cocktail recipe is:
4oz water wetter (Redline)
4oz water pump conditioner (prestone)
12 oz anti freeze (your choice)
fill the rest with distilled water."

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Water Pump Conditioner??????????

I haven't tried it, but based on the rest of the info Steve supplies, it should work.

"The last recipe I found (from May 2008) for Steve's coolant cocktail recipe is:
4oz water wetter (Redline)
4oz water pump conditioner (prestone)
12 oz anti freeze (your choice)
fill the rest with distilled water."
How does this stuff work? After all, the only parts of the water pump that are exposed to the coolant are the actual impellor vanes and perhaps a small portion of the pump shaft. The coolant will also come into contact with a portion of the seal.
I have read for years ridiculous claims from 'anti freeze' manufacturers that their product will 'lubricate' the water pump. Surely a play on words?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, seal replaced, cocktaile mix serviced and ready for a run, ran it for 20 minutes at idle, no leaks no fan, no light! thursday will be rain free and temps up to 70 so I'll try it then. pce

·
Registered
277 Posts
How does this stuff work? After all, the only parts of the water pump that are exposed to the coolant are the actual impellor vanes and perhaps a small portion of the pump shaft. The coolant will also come into contact with a portion of the seal.
I have read for years ridiculous claims from 'anti freeze' manufacturers that their product will 'lubricate' the water pump. Surely a play on words?
lovecuba is offline Report Post to Moderator Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
I believe the conditioner was added to keep the system clean. There was a note that it would work without it but would stay clean longer with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe the conditioner was added to keep the system clean. There was a note that it would work without it but would stay clean longer with it.
OK, after a quick exciting run around the hood, I returned 20 minutes later and shut off the engine to the familiar whir of the fan! it ran for about 1 minute after shut down. The bike is running fantastic, so is this suposed to happen ? is the system working the way it should? Am I missing any tricks?? any ideas what I can check for? there is no discernable fluid loss, no apearance of air getting in, the radiator passes fluid easily, the thermostat is new and is working properly, I am not getting an overtemp light, could my fan be getting a faulty sugnal and telling it to turn on when it shouldnt, should I take it for a longer run and see if I get a light? any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What is the ambient air temperature where you are located? Did you ride mostly stop and go?

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
It sounds like the only thing you have not checked is the switch that activates the fan. It is the one near the coolant filler cap. There is a spec for the temp where it turns on, I think that is in the Haynes manual. You can test it like testing a thermostat with a pan of water and a thermometer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the ambient air temperature where you are located? Did you ride mostly stop and go?
I am in Virginia and the temp outside was 60F, the ride was thru city streets stop and go half mile to 3/4 mile between stops. no traffic. and yes to the next post, I am due to recieve my haines manual this week. today I rode the bike staight thru 14 miles highway at 70F and the fan was on when I shut down, I will check the electrical side when get the manual other than that I am thinking the water pump may not be operating at peak capacity but this is speculation. I had removed the cover and cranked the bike and it was spinning, after I checked it did not apear loose or worn but I have nothing to compare it to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts