Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all at last i have time to put the bike back together I have totally stripped the carbs and had them cleaned and bought new floats but cant find my pad with the mixture screw settings.
Anyone know the standard settings for a standard uk bike?
thanks

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
If it has Mikuni carbs and all standard jets then I'd start with 2.5 turns out. Start with clean plugs and run it like that for a while, then adjust accordingly (if you don't have any other way to check the idle mixture).

I'm not sure off the top of my head though if in is leaner or out, I've totally forgotten.

I would definitely suggest using a balancing tool as they can be a real bitch after playing with the carbs. Also don't forget to set the idle screw, if it's too low it will be hard to start or won't start at all, they're very fussy. Turn it until you can see the throttle butterflies open about 1/2 a milimetre, you can always turn it down later.

I bought the CarbTune Pro, it was quite inexpensive (around €70 I think) and it works perfectly. It does a great job too and can be used over and over again.

Mine's been running a bit rough at idle recently so I'll be balancing them again in the next day or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just to fetch this conversation back out again. Just rebuilding my Mikuni carbs, the original pilot screw setting was just short of 2 turns out. Compared with Arfers comment a few years ago this looks a little tight. I've got no idea how the carbs ran as I'm building a basket case. Has anybody got more info on the screw position please.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I found the same when I rebuilt my Mikunis; from the factory, they were about 1 & 3/4 turns out. When I put everything back together, I initially turned them to 2 & 1/2 out and they worked great but smelled very rich at idle. I settled on 2 turns out in the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts