Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the winter getting the Scrambler ready for a trip up the Trans-Labrador highway this coming summer. The last couple of items got installed on the weekend.

Trip-specific modifications are: custom Kolpin gas can mount, National Cycle windshield, Triumph number boards to support the saddlebags and BMW R1150GS hand guards. These will be removed for the riding season and re-installed prior to the trip.

Permanent mods are the fork oil specs per blacktiger's recommendation, Triumph gel seat, MSR Honda CRF230 shifter, Suzuki RM125 footpegs, a new set of Distanzias, EBC front disc/pads, Renntec rack with Givi top box and there are Ikon shocks on the way.

The trip will be about 7,000km with close to 2,000km of gravel roads. All that's left is to make some critical ferry and hotel reservations and we're ready to set off in August.

Here's a picture of the bike kitted out for the trip:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nicely rigged! The gas can is a nifty idea; pushing a Scrambler on a gravel road would be an unpleasant workout!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Is that Honda shift lever a direct bolt-on? If so, that's a great idea. Triumph wasn't thinking when they put that big beefy OEM thing on there. The last thing you want to do is bend the shaft if you drop the bike.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you going to post a ride report?

Yep. We'll be out of cell phone range for close to half the trip, so no wireless internet. The report will have to wait until after return.

The gas can is a nifty idea; pushing a Scrambler on a gravel road would be an unpleasant workout!

There will be one stretch of 288km of gravel with no services, no gas. The can is a must for the trip.

Is that Honda shift lever a direct bolt-on? If so, that's a great idea.

A straight bolt on. Same spline and length as stock, but I'm fussy so I used an hydraulic press to tweak the bends so it sits closer to the primary cover.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That sir, is Wicked. Could you maybe post a picture of the gas can mount without the can on there so I can see just how you did that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dave, that is a really nice looking bike, however the thread you linked brought one question to mind. You mentioned that one stretch of rode is 288km of gravel with no service stations. Even with that extra 5 liter can mounted, I think you'd be pushing it close, especially with all that added gear. And that's if you started that 288km with a full tank. I'm just curious for your thoughts on that. my bonnie gets around 120-130miles before I am on reserve. 288 km's is 178.56 miles nad I'm judging with a full tank, reserve and that extra can mounted you'd only have maybe 20-30 miles worth of gas left?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave, that is a really nice looking bike, however the thread you linked brought one question to mind. You mentioned that one stretch of rode is 288km of gravel with no service stations. Even with that extra 5 liter can mounted, I think you'd be pushing it close, especially with all that added gear. And that's if you started that 288km with a full tank. I'm just curious for your thoughts on that. my bonnie gets around 120-130miles before I am on reserve. 288 km's is 178.56 miles nad I'm judging with a full tank, reserve and that extra can mounted you'd only have maybe 20-30 miles worth of gas left?
I get a consistent 240 km before I hit reserve on my typical 80-100km/h, pavement and gravel back road riding. The least I've ever gotten is 225 to reserve. Figuring another 50km on reserve to bone dry, I should be good for at least 250-275 without touching the gas can. There will definitely be a shake-down run before the trip to get a handle on the maximum range.

My riding partners will be on a KLR 650 and a BMW HP2. The HP2 has roughly the same range as my bike. The KLR will get about 400km to a tank, and the owner has offered us gas at extortionate rates in the wilds of Labrador. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Man, I wish I was going with you!

Well done, Dave - enjoy your trip!;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get a consistent 240 km before I hit reserve on my typical 80-100km/h, pavement and gravel back road riding. The least I've ever gotten is 225 to reserve. Figuring another 50km on reserve to bone dry, I should be good for at least 250-275 without touching the gas can. There will definitely be a shake-down run before the trip to get a handle on the maximum range.

My riding partners will be on a KLR 650 and a BMW HP2. The HP2 has roughly the same range as my bike. The KLR will get about 400km to a tank, and the owner has offered us gas at extortionate rates in the wilds of Labrador. :D
Well it sounds like you know whats ahead of you. let us know how the dry run goes. Hopefully you don't run dry. sorry, couldn't resist

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
do you have any plans on installing some sort of crash bars? just a thought since you are bound to go down a couple of times...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Dave, what specific Honda is the shift lever off? I might have to try that.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
cool idea

using the Triumph number plates to support|protect the saddle bags. I've been mulling about how to put some similar bags on my Scrambler and keep them off the exhaust. I may have to hit ebay looking for the number plates..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
do you have any plans on installing some sort of crash bars? just a thought since you are bound to go down a couple of times...

Uhhh.......... we're going to be on roads here, not riding in the WEC. Don't know why I'd be "bound to go down a couple of times". Maybe you could use some practice on gravel?

Hey Dave, what specific Honda is the shift lever off? I might have to try that.

See post #1 in this thread for details.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dave,
Well done! Looks like you're going to have a great trip. Good job on getting your machine ready. Can't wait to see the trip report!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts