Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Bonneville Black 2011 customised 904cc, 11:1, 813c cams, 44mm Street Triple TBs , TEC 2 into 1
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Re installed headlight some minor wiring repairs, realigned the forks, bars SpeedBrace fork brace and now just the new front fender mount and to mount it tomorrow.

Then on the rear suspension, complete rear frame upper clamping shocker mount and send off to have CNC machined. Also modify and install a chain tensioner.

can’t wait to get it completed and out on test ride….

photo comparing suspension travel from standard to KLR 650 long travel forks
2A9306FD-010D-43E9-86E9-47910C6755ED.png
E9932035-E84B-4605-998E-556FC7E7599B.jpeg
1FB04A7A-4645-440A-9F43-2988C54842A2.png

Reactions: Don03st

·
Registered
Bonneville Black 2011 customised 904cc, 11:1, 813c cams, 44mm Street Triple TBs , TEC 2 into 1
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
539422DA-2BE4-4CF8-A03D-D120178E07B1.jpeg
E5592A12-4856-47EA-B550-C7079BFF2E6D.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
400 Posts
GB,
This is an amazing journey and I am absolutely loving this progress. On the opposite side of the emotion scale, and this goes for all of you with beautiful garages/workshops and the skills to make the best of it, straight jealousy. Cheers, mate.

Any plans to bring the pipes up or are you going to keep them low?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
GB,
This is an amazing journey and I am absolutely loving this progress. On the opposite side of the emotion scale, and this goes for all of you with beautiful garages/workshops and the skills to make the best of it, straight jealousy. Cheers, mate.

Thanks mate! It’s been a challenging project however I really enjoy modifying…….

I am now attempting to design a side stand as well as rear shock mounts so I can get my Bonnie back on the road to test.

I will keep posting the progress and look forward to winter leaving us and spring weather as it’s even cold and wet this winter in Sth East Australia

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
GB,

Keeping 2 into 1 as is as I want to keep weight as low as possible and have room for my hard Kappa side cases and top box which with a mate modified a Ventura rack which is quick install and release only taking 10 mins to convert from a naked to a tourer.
I may not have the ability to tour much now due to a traumatic motorcycle accident in Austria in 2019 in which 5 of us on 3 bikes were injured and after ICU we’re Medi Vac back to Australia which was a short 22 hour flight on a stretcher bed specially mounted in a 380 in economy ha ha….

I know have a fused spine which is why I wanted to continue mods on Bonnie hopefully to provide a more progressive suspension while I can still ride…..it’s been a great getting my head back and body healing project!
Thanks for watching I will keep posting!

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
400 Posts
I may not have the ability to tour much now due to a traumatic motorcycle accident in Austria in 2019 in which 5 of us on 3 bikes were injured and after ICU we’re Medi Vac back to Australia which was a short 22 hour flight on a stretcher bed specially mounted in a 380 in economy ha ha….

I know have a fused spine which is why I wanted to continue mods on Bonnie hopefully to provide a more progressive suspension while I can still ride
Good God, man! Glad you are still in the game and I hope the other four riders/pillions are doing well.
How do you like your upgraded seat? After all the bike mods, one thing to look at is your seat cushion material. I mod'ed my seat over the winter, keeping the stock pan but layering 1" of med-hard memory foam for shock absorption and then 1" of med-soft memory foam for comfort. I bring this up because the other day I dropped the sidecar off the bike but did not swap the shocks from the much higher sprung sidecar ones, as I was only going around town for errands. When I did that with the OEM seat previously, it resulted in a few shots to the lower spine and kidneys. This time I didn't even think about it until I got back home and realized that none of my internal organs were jarred out of place in 2+ hours of rolling around town, and my city isn't well known for having the best roads.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The Triumph accessory King and Queen seat even I was hesitant with the look at first …however I was recommended it from a customer seat upholsterer and my wife and we have done many long distance touring 12 hours ( the longest from Gawler South Australia to Eastern suburbs in Melbourne ) with it and it’s great!.

With the accident I was in ICU in an induced coma for 22 days with facial, chest, fractured spine , two tendons detach in left knee and broken left leg . My mate and his wife were also very much traumatically injured and. His wife lost a leg as well…..we are so blessed to be alive…and I have renovated my caravan and doing my Bonnie mods which has helped me focus and think and distracted off injuries and focus on good stuff ha ha.

your Scrambler with side car sounds cool send me info to my email [email protected] I will pass on to a mate has a Scrambler and is looking at installing a side car!

take care have fun catch up later!

we are all working 5hrough
Good God, man! Glad you are still in the game and I hope the other four riders/pillions are doing well.
How do you like your upgraded seat? After all the bike mods, one thing to look at is your seat cushion material. I mod'ed my seat over the winter, keeping the stock pan but layering 1" of med-hard memory foam for shock absorption and then 1" of med-soft memory foam for comfort. I bring this up because the other day I dropped the sidecar off the bike but did not swap the shocks from the much higher sprung sidecar ones, as I was only going around town for errands. When I did that with the OEM seat previously, it resulted in a few shots to the lower spine and kidneys. This time I didn't even think about it until I got back home and realized that none of my internal organs were jarred out of place in 2+ hours of rolling around town, and my city isn't well known for having the best roads.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Having a few challenges delaying my project with Master Cylinder requiring a repair kit as it would not bleed, still awaiting Chromemoly steel tube for side stand modification and fabrication, and two quotes down on rear shock top clamp mounts which were far too expensive waiting on another now which I hope will be suitable to proceed.

I also have a chain tensioner to modify to fit hopefully on the weekend……just as well we are back in Isolation lockdown so will keep me home and busy ha ha!

The photos are of similar rear top shock mounts I took the idea off and redesigned and can’t wait to get the Adventure Bonnie out on its first test ride ….

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Latest progress…..we are in Covid isolation again for another 5 days at least in Victoria Australia….bugger…..
Have arranged the following last steps to complete my Adventure Bonnie.
Dynamic chain tensioner ordered
Brake Master cylinder repair kit ordered
Top rear shock frame clamp mounts awaiting quote to be machined before ordering
Side stand Chromemoly tube 25mm dia ordered to then manufactured a custom longer side stand using modified pivot off original stand.

can’t wait till next week should have parts and components to complete side stand, repair brake master cylinder and hopefully top shock mounts being manufactured……

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
3481F068-F78D-4DA9-80DF-071B21C0C81D.png
588F15B3-7068-4384-BD6A-8089CD88EB3F.jpeg

The Chromemoly tube arrived so I have cut the pivot off the original side stand and ground it down to a taper internal diameter to press and apply epoxy to press and bond into the tube.

I made an alloy foot in which I I have tapped a 12mm stainless steel bolt at an angle to suit the stand shape.After the top shock mounts are completed and installed I will then be able to determine the correct length to cut the Chromemoly tube to the length required to hold the bike at a satisfactory angle on the side stand.

Attachments

Reactions: FLY-TRI-GUY

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Painted side stand and temporary mounted on bike ready to measure up and cut to length after rear suspension top shock mounts engineered and installed.
258F0339-BE81-4A40-99FC-07ECA12C9C72.jpeg
15A28546-39B2-4F40-A639-C846056ED143.jpeg

Reactions: FLY-TRI-GUY

·
Registered
118 Posts
Loving this project 👏👍
Going for roughly the same thing on my 900 WC Street scrambler, got to say yours looks brilliant!

I probably should have bought the 1200 scrambler in hindsight though it wasnt out at the time, but its nice to get to know the bike while on the spanners before going on a trip!

Really like the idea of those suspension mounts too, would be handy to keep as spares on the road if doing super long distance on some gnarly roads, the standard suspension mounts have always worried me if I were to ever get on an adventure and one was to break but its steel I guess so would take some doing!

Good luck with the rest of the project will be following it... may pinch one or two ideas ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Loving this project 👏👍
Going for roughly the same thing on my 900 WC Street scrambler, got to say yours looks brilliant!

I probably should have bought the 1200 scrambler in hindsight though it wasnt out at the time, but its nice to get to know the bike while on the spanners before going on a trip!

Really like the idea of those suspension mounts too, would be handy to keep as spares on the road if doing super long distance on some gnarly roads, the standard suspension mounts have always worried me if I were to ever get on an adventure and one was to break but its steel I guess so would take some doing!

Good luck with the rest of the project will be following it... may pinch one or two ideas ;)
Thank you for following and it’s been a great fun project …..a little more challenging than I expected but fun overall ha ha.

I just received the quote and given the go ahead to manufacture the rear top shock mounts hopefully I will receive next week or so. I also just received notice of shipping of the Free Spirits Dynamic chain tensioner from USA so hopefully will receive that sooner than later as well.
The side stand is near complete just need to cut chrome moly tube to length after top shock mounts are installed and I can measure correct length required and bond on stand foot.

I received confirmation of shipping as well on Brake Masetr cylinder repair kit as master cylinder would not bleed correctly and I noticed fluid bypassing in the reservoir orifices on brake application so even though the rubber seals looked ok (one was firmer in feel) I suspect it was bypassing brake fluid so I honed the bore and should have parts to rebuild master cylinder by next week.

Then I hope to have bike reassembled soon and off for a test ride…..ohhhhh apart from maybe a new custom alloy chain guard to make……ohhh and new more aggressive 50/50 adventure tyres.

Keep watching and I will let you know how she performs…..PS….I also have a KTM alloy swingarm to look at modifying to suit the Bonnie and be a little longer in length …

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
400 Posts
ohhh and new more aggressive 50/50 adventure tyres
Let the tire debate begin! We need drinks and a few rules of the road...except the 50/50's are meant to shun the road, so forget the rules. I make a motion for K60s in stock sizes.

But in all seriousness, this is an awesome thread. What did the shock mounts end up costing?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ha ha yes need drinks that’s for sure….

the top alloy frame clamp shock mounts I have a quote at $220 Australian which is about dollar fifty US ha ha…… As for tyres still looking at that for now…… ha ha

·
Registered
118 Posts
Then I hope to have bike reassembled soon and off for a test ride…..ohhhhh apart from maybe a new custom alloy chain guard to make……ohhh and new more aggressive 50/50 adventure tyres.
Hahaha, yes its a rabbit hole isnt it, mines back on the road but theres still more mods in the pipeline!

Is the auto chain tensioner to account for the additional travel of the rear swingarm?
Looks like a nice bit of kit!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes the chain tensioner is required to maintain chain tension when the suspension is unloaded as the chain will rub otherwise on the swingarm pivot I suspect.

if possible I plan to modify a KTM 300 alloy swingarm I have to suit with around 25mm longer at least to lengthen the wheel base slightly and balance front to rear weight more even.

The alloy swingarm is also lighter so will help with extra reduced overall weight of bike which has been lightened with alloy components and removed items ha ha.

I look forward to getting my Bonnie back on her test ride……

Hahaha, yes its a rabbit hole isnt it, mines back on the road but theres still more mods in the pipeline!

Is the auto chain tensioner to account for the additional travel of the rear swingarm?
Looks like a nice bit of kit!

Reactions: Shepsi
21 - 38 of 38 Posts