Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Bonneville Black 2011 customised 904cc, 11:1, 813c cams, 44mm Street Triple TBs , TEC 2 into 1
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was keen with having an adventure bike love the look and comfort of the longer travel however after a traumatic motorcycle accident late 2019 off road riding became no longer a priority due to injuries ……however I still like the look and need a more progressive longer travel suspension bike to reduce the jarring to my body…
So Adventure Bonnie became my next project and I am in the process of installing longer travel suspension.

With the Forks which are 41mm dia I purchased the Kawasaki KLR 650 2018 front fork tubes, 200mm travel which I am in the process of installing my Soeedbrace fork brace, and modifying to suit my existing front end components..

With the rear suspension I have Ohlin 375mm SL36 shocks which I am in the process to lay the top mounting down the frame tubes to increase travel, using custom frame clamping aluminium mounts which I am in the process of designing to be engineered.

I also have an aluminium KTM 300 swing arm which I am also in the plans of modifying to fit if suitable and possible.

I have installed new Pro-taper EVO Adventure Low bars mounted via Rox 50mm Pivot bar risers to raise the bars for a more upright seating position with also pivot adjustable foot pegs.

I look forward to getting the Bonnie back on the road to test ride in the next few weeks however with Covid isolation restrictions at times and winter will see how we go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,045 Posts
Wow that’s a cool bike build for your situation hope it all works out, thnx fir sharing!…FTG

·
Registered
Bonneville Black 2011 customised 904cc, 11:1, 813c cams, 44mm Street Triple TBs , TEC 2 into 1
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that’s a cool bike build for your situation hope it all works out, thnx fir sharing!…FTG
I will keep posting updates…now…..what headlight style? Have a 7” HID custom I made may redo in a smaller diameter….

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
122 Posts
Very nice. You might prompt jealousy from all the buyers of factory original Scramblers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice. You might prompt jealousy from all the buyers of factory original Scramblers.
Ha ha I like the new scramblers and have test rode them at the last Rat Rally in Batemans Bay , however the exhaust luggage restrictions, and just having to start all over again to make it mine I decided I would rather keep my air cooled and modify it to suit me. Ha ha

Reactions: Tkuhn89

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
400 Posts
Beautiful.
You may want to think about a chain tensioner kit if you are lengthening the rear travel.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes your do right…. I think the best zi can find at this time maybe the free spirit and with Australian dollar conversation is a-bit costly however I see essential ha ha …. I had better order one very soon

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have
Pretty cool, but doesn't it need a longer swingarm now?
Yes it’s a work in progress with lots of modifications required so I will set up rear suspension with the standard swing arm and custom upper shock relocation mounts to lay down the shocks (planning design now) and have a KTM 300 alloy swing arm which looks like it may fit…..with modifications of course and will need to be shortened as well however looking at around 25mm -35mm longer swing arm with adjustable shock mounting locations on swing arm.

i don’t want the overall wheel base to increase too much just in proportion in looks and to obtain suspension travel around 180mm at rear and 200mm front and when seating feet flat on ground if possible.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful.
You may want to think about a chain tensioner kit if you are lengthening the rear travel.
Been looking online chain tensioner via Free Spirits who fit perfectly however around $482 Aus dollars ouch….. I’m looking into options….

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes your do right…. I think the best zi can find at this time maybe the free spirit and with Australian dollar conversation is a-bit costly however I see essential ha ha …. I had better order one very soon
Just ordered a chain tensioner will
Modify to fit and ensure is reliable

·
Registered
2014 Scrambler
400 Posts
Just ordered a chain tensioner will
Modify to fit and ensure is reliable
Did you get the Free Spirits one? It is very pricey, but I also have not seen another out there, so I guess it gets to be as pricey as it wants if there is no competition.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you get the Free Spirits one? It is very pricey, but I also have not seen another out there, so I guess it gets to be as pricey as it wants if there is no competition.
You right cannot justify $462 for a chain tensioner so bought one online from another supplier and will modify to fit and be mounted as strong as possible and hopefully it will perform well.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks great! Looking to do a milder version for a roadtrip. I wish a bigger tank was easier to find. That 150 mile range is brutal.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great! Looking to do a milder version for a roadtrip. I wish a bigger tank was easier to find. That 150 mile range is brutal.
Yes I agree with the fuel range restriction on tank size and fuel economy.

I have done many performance mods in which has not reduced the fuel economy and the tank fuel pick up in the alloy tank does not completely empty which is an issue I am looking at addressing.

I have plans to possibly custom make and install a alloy tank where the air box was which should have capacity of an extra 7 litres at least ….. Could be a good solution?

Reactions: soaz

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I agree with the fuel range restriction on tank size and fuel economy.

I have done many performance mods in which has not reduced the fuel economy and the tank fuel pick up in the alloy tank does not completely empty which is an issue I am looking at addressing.

I have plans to possibly custom make and install a alloy tank where the air box was which should have capacity of an extra 7 litres at least ….. Could be a good solution?
Since the performance modifications and I believe following David Vizard Polyquad head design with optimising the inlet ports to be 81% of the total inlet valve cross sectional area as performance guru recommended the fuel economy has not reduced and is possibly much more efficient with air fuel atomisation which has also increased performance considerably and with all modifications to around double the RWHP.
An increase in tank size would also certainly help touring and as I now have considerable area free where the air box and electrics where a nice alloy shaped custom tank to fit in that area and also to be the rear wheel guard will enable at least 7 L extra fuel capacity and if the fuel pump is mounted in it and two fuel taps each side in tank to feed should gain a much improved fuel range.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Completed modifications with reaming axle Ho.e sizes in KLR forks to suit Bonnie axle, now to custom make a brake caliper adaptor mount and quard mount. Any modifications required

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Completed modifications with reaming axle Ho.e sizes in KLR forks to suit Bonnie axle, now to custom make a brake caliper adaptor mount and quard mount. Any modifications required
Having a few challenges with attempting to make the new front guard mounting which I prefer lower mounting at this stage and have to look at using the SpeedBrace fork brace as a part of the mounting as the forks do not have mounting tabs.

Also designing the new rear shock mounts is taking longer than I hoped however hope to have it at an engineers to be CNC machined ASAP.

Then just the headlight and dash if I change or not at this stage …..may have to delay that as another part of the project….lucky it’s winter in Australia so I have some time before Spring arrives ha ha

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Front KLR 650 forks required a lot of customising to install the Bonnie front wheel with modifications to the axle holes requiring to be reamed out larger to suit the Bonnie axle, reducing the width of the axle shims, custom made a caliper relocation bracket for the Pretech brake caliper and finally the mounting of the alloy front fender to Seedbrace fork brace with a custom mount bracket I am in the process of making.
Stalling

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A9681D34-9EF2-4987-968B-EEF28E1C7516.jpeg
70D5FEBA-51E1-4B66-BFCC-68BC98206730.jpeg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts