Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found any referance to removing it. I figured it
should just slide right out. Except it ain't!:(
Have I missed something? or some trick to it?

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
Notice that the then screw you removed goes all the way through the advancer into the camshaft.

Next, note that the advancer cam has a set of much thicker threads in it's end. Find a bolt that will screw into these threads, and screw it in at least 1/4".

Now, tap firmly on the screw from all four sides with the handle of a heavy screwdriver; that should pop it free. If not, tap with a small hammer or 2x4, NOT SO HARD as to damage the threads or bend the bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
NOT SO HARD as to damage the threads or bend the bolt.
Not so hard as to bend the AAU,more likely.Ever wonder why so many of these units are bent,and the points gap varies all over the place as you rotate the cam when the points are open.

A far better way is to use a longer bolt with a sliding weight (slide-hammer).Then you dont bend the AAU (too late already,for most Triumph owners).If the AAU doesn't get bent you still have 160 degrees dwell when the points are gapped to 0.015".

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Another way!

The alternative to Mr. Pete's method is to put a length of stud in the hole with a diameter smaller than the hole and a length about 1 1/2 - 2" long. (If I remember correctly a M8 will work) Then find a bolt that screws into the advance cam.
The bolt in the cam will push on the stud, the stud will bottom out in the hole and will "push" the AAU off.
Sounds complicated but takes about 2 minutes to do, this is also the closest method to the "real" Triumph tool.

Webby

1 - 6 of 6 Posts