Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be doing something boneheaded, but I can't adjust the pre-load on the ST. The manual says to use the tool under the right side cover, which is a philips on one end and a hex on the other, and adjust via the small round port on the bottom of the shocks. Except the tool has nothing to grab on to, and both ends just spin. The tool and what I believe is the adjustment port are in the attached images.

Wrong port? Wrong tool?

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
"The tool kit consists of an adjustment tool. The adjustment tool is attached to the inside of the right hand side panel.
There are two C-spanners located under the seat on the Thruxton R."

Federal law requires that motorcycles be fitted with tool(s) for replacing/ adjusting headlight bulbs. That's the tool in the picture. You need a spanner wrench to adjust preload on the shocks. It can sometimes be done by hand if you pull up and twist at the same time.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Are you trying to twiddle the tool in that hole? that'll do nothing.

The tool is meant to be used as a lever to force the cam-like ring device sideways, clockwise to increase spring pressure, anti-clockwise to reduce.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks, Fluff! I can see the lug now and there's no provision for a spanner wrench. I had surgery a few days ago and am on pain killers. Hence, I will refrain from giving mechanical advice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks folks - mystery solved.

Thruxton owners are provided spanners to adjust their suspension like **** Sapiens.

ST owners are given a rudimentary lever to use like Neanderthals.

Here's the setup to relieve future owners of the embarrassment of asking this particular question. Simply insert the lever disguised as a tool and pull clockwise to advance the notches up one level at a time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
"The tool kit consists of an adjustment tool. The adjustment tool is attached to the inside of the right hand side panel.
There are two C-spanners located under the seat on the Thruxton R."

Federal law requires that motorcycles be fitted with tool(s) for replacing/ adjusting headlight bulbs. That's the tool in the picture. You need a spanner wrench to adjust preload on the shocks. It can sometimes be done by hand if you pull up and twist at the same time.
Have you tried to adjust the Ohlins suspension on a Thruxton R with the C spanners?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
A hex key that's about the same outside diameter as the hole in the adjusting boss also works great, and should give plenty of leverage. I find that a 5.5mm works perfectly on my T120. The tool supplied with the bike is too small. As a matter of fact, I can't figure out what that tool is actually for!

I know, I know, a hex key is the wrong tool for the job. I couldn't find another metal tool of the correct diameter, and the hex key seems to do no damage.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Is it possible that no modern manufacturer has seen fit to copy the old MZ's and BMW's built-in levers for no-tool, fast and convenient adjustment?:

·
Registered
259 Posts
cutting the tip off a suitable screwdriver is a good option as well. Gives a lot more leverage.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should the bike be lifted for rear suspension adjusting?
I started this thread? How embarrassing! Anyway, no need to lift the bike when changing the setting. I lost the tool about a day after I changed the side panels to an aftermarket setup, and then decided to lose the rear shocks in favor of the Fox Podium R. Pretty noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I’ve found the perfect tool for this job is one of the camshaft locking tools used on the 865 air cooled engines, a nice snug fit and easy leverage. Although I imagine that there are not that many of us with one (or two) of those still laying around in the bottom of our toolboxes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve found the perfect tool for this job is one of the camshaft locking tools used on the 865 air cooled engines, a nice snug fit and easy leverage. Although I imagine that there are not that many of us with one (or two) of those still laying around in the bottom of our toolboxes!

Would you please send a picture of this tool?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts