Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to adjust the fork pre-load. If the new Sprints fork screws are made from the same kind of butter-metal the old ST's were made of, I wouldn't want to cause any cosmetic damage.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Its the same on any marque of bike mate (especially Suzuki I might add) - the oem fasteners are made of cheese :-D

Kev

·
Registered
659 Posts
The secret is to use a screwdriver as wide as possible and the correct thickness tip to avoid it twisting in the slot. Ideally make a homemade one with aluminium by using a flat sheet of 18swg alloy plate. If the bike is on the main stand with no load on the forks this will assist slightly in turning your adjusters.

Or ask your dealer to do the adjustments next service.... if he fudges the adjusters 'smile' as you ask for them to be replaced.

[ This message was edited by: ST on 2007-01-02 15:51 ]

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
NikosR,
Kev is right unfortunatley they are made of cheese.

I would try to find a very wide bladed screw driver.

I have marked my own adjusting them also, very annoying I know.

If you have a workshop I'd make something specifically for it.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try to get hold of the widest screwdriver I can find. Ideally it should fit and allow some space to use a piece of soft cloth as well to try to protect the fork screw.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you take a large coin (a quarter works pretty good here in the USA) and some needle nose pliers you can move the adjusters without damage. Just be careful to make sure the coin is firmly placed in the slot before turning.
Jed

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would agree.

Posting my first 10 to be able to PM Pierre for the manual. Picking up bike tomorrow. 10,300 out the door for demo w/ 900 miles, but ABS. I am very happy at 8999.00 plus fees. In the showroom and mint. I'll be back to tap the knowledge fountain here. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts