Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I still have a question for you Champ.

In the manual they speak about applying 50/50 of oil/molybdenum bi-sulfide grease on the buckets.

You don't seem to have done that? Did you?

I don't have this type of grease on any of my shelves so I should order it if really necessary.

Fred

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
So I pulled the trigger and ordered some MOS2 grease.

I won't dilute it in oil though and I'll put a so tiny amount of grease that I'll wipe out.

I read about the use of MOS2 mainly here:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/315849-question-on-moly-lube-for-vale-adjustment/

So in my case the asset is to protect the journals and friction surfaces (bucket upper surface and cam) when the engine was not run for long.

Theoretically MOS2 is to be used only on new never mounted/never lubricated parts (journals and buckets/cams). But it will protect the parts during the time the oil pump will establish the oil flow in the head.

Fred

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
In the manual they speak about applying 50/50 of oil/molybdenum bi-sulfide grease on the buckets.

You don't seem to have done that? Did you?
No, I just spread plenty of clean oil around any rubbing surfaces and contact points.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
So I mounted everything putting a load of fresh oil on the journals and... the free plays are too big!!!:crying:
When I say too big some are close to the upper limit.

I don't get it.
The only hypothesis I can form is that when I measured the free play the engine didn't run for 2 weeks so the oil dropped from the head completely. So the shafts were "low" (no oil on the journal).
When I measured after changing the shims the shaft journals were full of oil.

So what measurement is the good one?

I'm a bit lost.

Fred

81 - 86 of 86 Posts