Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my storm for a week now - love it. But clutch is a little taxing in the stretch. As its not adjustable was looking to see if anyone had a storm and would receommend replacment levers ? My local supplier doesent have anything, so hoping I can get some direction here. Cheers all.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I wish my brake lever was adjustable, it makes for a longer stretch than is comfortable to ride with it covered.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Old Grey Bull, It is adjustable, there is a screw that contacts the plunger that you can adjust. this will make more comfortable while braking although the brakelight switch still works at the original point so if you cover it the light may be on.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Old Grey Bull, It is adjustable, there is a screw that contacts the plunger that you can adjust. this will make more comfortable while braking although the brakelight switch still works at the original point so if you cover it the light may be on.
Thanks Linkdog - I'll take a look in the morning and see what you mean. What I'm talking about is moving the lever in closer to the grip so I don't have to reach as far. On my Volutia it's easily adjustable for a range of distances. Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been looking for adjustable levers for my Tbird but can't find any anywhere. My Bonneville has them but no luck with the Tbird. So I'll be following this thread to see if anyone finds some.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Got it - that will help a little, but it's still a "reach" for my small hands.
If FastEddy reads this maybe he'll weigh in with a possible solution?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Old Grey Bull, I think I read something about someone heating them and bending them back a bit a long while back but I think the're cast and I'm not sure of the success. If it's a problem for you, you can try to take them to a good machine shop and see if the can mill some from billet alum. Although this can be pricey but you wont know until you ask.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I don't think I'd be comfortable trying to heat and bend them. I'd worry about weakening them leading to a failure.
I hadn't thought about having a new one made; it sounds like a pricey option, but like you said, you don't know unless you ask.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Old Grey Bull, I think I read something about someone heating them and bending them back a bit a long while back but I think the're cast and I'm not sure of the success. If it's a problem for you, you can try to take them to a good machine shop and see if the can mill some from billet alum. Although this can be pricey but you wont know until you ask.
If you do find a shop that will make a template and machine a set that has more of a setback please let me know as well. :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Will do.
Now that Scollops (the OP) raised the subject it's bugging me - while I was riding today I kept reaching and trying to adjust my grip - kind of like rubbing your tongue on a sore tooth! Thanks Scollops!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oldgreybull - thanks....mind you still am stretching a little when cornering. Which is why I wouldnt mind better levers. Couple of times the Ive put the power on a bit quick for a small grip I had (bit scary but all good in the end).

Havent seen much for new levers...even took to a chopper shop local. Nothing back yet. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think I'd be comfortable trying to heat and bend them. I'd worry about weakening them leading to a failure.
I hadn't thought about having a new one made; it sounds like a pricey option, but like you said, you don't know unless you ask.
if you do decide to go for heating first cover them in soap, the bar type
heat gently and when the soap blackens remove the heat and try to bend. the soap blackening gives you a good indication of the metal getting warm enough to bend before it melts.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Thanks Zolti, but that sounds well beyond my tinkering comfort level. Besides, I'm still under warranty and I doubt that would be considered normal wear and tear!
Haven't mentioned it before, but I have an artificial joint on the middle finger of my left hand (no jokes, my wife has worn out "you used that middle finger too much!). And my right hand is very arthritic too - makes maters worse for me.
Surely there some after market levers will appear out there? I'll keep looking...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Adjustable Levers to fit a Thunderbird

I have found them. Through Mike Selman @ Bellacorse.com. They are MotoZen Racing Adjustable Levers and are $150/set. Even though they don't show up on the MotoZen site, Mike assures me that they are, in fact, available and not shown only because the MotoZen web site has not been recently updated to include this set. Ordered a set yesterday.

I am also gathering information about the Moose Racing Easy Pull Clutch System and am right on the verge of ordering that as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Be very keen to see also - seen on other bikes so be interesting....whats the turnaround time ? Hmm checked the Bellacorse site says no Intl Shipping.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Crikey, lets don't get too ahead of ourselves. To clarify what Cappybs was saying:

MotoZen has an application for the Thunderbird 1600, however their web site a) is outdated and b) has some wrong information on other application. Not having a TB1600 here to test fit myself, Cappybs is going to be my beta tester just to confirm fitment & operation.

I'm 99% sure everything will work, but knowing what I had to go through just to get the right combination of parts to fit the 900 twins, let's just say nothing is 100% sure... at this point.

I'm sure cappybs and/or myself will report our findings on these pages.

/Mike

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I was off line for a few days and it looks like you guys are making progress! I'll be eager to hear/see how the testing progresses.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
OK gang, I visited my local dealer today and took a close look at the TB 1600. I'm highly optimistic the levers I shipped cappybs will work... at least all visual indications point to that.

There are other Bonneville items that crossover as well like handlebars, grips and mirrors.

/Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts