Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Adding handlebar Risers - thoughts?

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bonnevillebilly 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

I’m looking on opinions on risers.

I did check the review forum and not much is out here. I’m hoping I can benefit from others experience; what others have purchased and used. I see there is a price difference between the different manufactures, yet is there really much difference in quality or appearance? They all seem pretty straight forward to replace (let me know if you thought otherwise) and YES, I do not want to replace cables.

Additionally, is there anything else I'm missing regarding adding risers?

Other than that, do we see an item like this occasionally come across the classified/parts forum?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I bought mine from newbonneville.com and they are really nice. Very well finished and just the right height with all necessary hardware. I used the Hyde "M" bars with mine and really like that set up-it works for me.

#3 ·
Hey Mike
I have them on my stock bars and, I think they raised
them up and back just enough to take the weigh off
your arms and, the stress off your back.
and they look nice also.
I got mine from newbonneville too.
You have just enough slack in all the cables.
Bill

#4 ·
Got my risers from new bonneville trying to lessen the strain on the reverse m-bars. Still had some stress so I try the risers on my original bars but turn the bars down a few degrees. It was love at first ride. I'm 5'll' and 200 lbs and the fit is perfect.

#5 ·
Hi,

I purchased the Jenks Bolts risers from Sel-Motion. Fit and finish was excellent. But, I have no way to compare them to anyone else's risers.

As far as installation goes it is easy and here is a tip. Round up a buddy to help. With 2 persons it is a 5 minute job. Have him stand over the front wheel and all he has to do is support the bars for 30-45 seconds. Take the bolts out, he lifts slightly and supports the bar, you place the risers under it and then he can lower the bar slightly into the riser and you put the new longer bolts and cap piece back. Adjust handle bar angle, torque it down and celebrate your success with a brew. With one person you will spend much more time just putting out towels etc. to protect the tank.

Does it work? I'm 63 and 5"-10 and have enough back problems that I had been riding very little as all my old toys were a problem with kick start so I got a new T100 to get one of those magic start buttons. The difference was enough that it took out the little bit of forward leaning that was required and reduced the back and shoulder stress dramatically and immediately.

Onward towards trying to improve seat comfort. I think the only improvement in the new seat is that they went from 2 by 12 pine to 2 x12 pressure treated so it might last longer. I purchased one of the "Butt Buffer" pads. It, although not a total solution, was in my opinion quite helpful. I bring this up regarding your query because of the pads thickness, it took back some of the gain of the riser as far as I was concerned and further pointed to me out how much of an improvement the riser actually was. Over the Winter, when I'm sure the riding is done for the year I will send the seat out and have the pad installed in the seat by carving it into the foam, if that is what is really there, and gain back the risers advantage..

Go for it! If your not happy there were no changes so it is reversible and you can always post it as a "For Sale". Will be a cheap experiment. Just maybe there is a reason why you don't see them being sold off.

Bob

#8 ·
I also got my risers from New Bonneville. They set the bars up & back just right. I also set the bars for the grips to go down just a little. Works great. I had to take my clutch cable out of the bottom frame clip holder. No big deal but it wouldn't reach. Like was already said, get some help from someone. The only thing I have found was that the machining for where the bars fit is a little small. I wanted to raise my bars up a little so I loosened the bolts. The bars would not twist. I would have needed someone to hold the bars while I took a hammer to knock them off of the bars. So I left them alone. Otherwise good purchase.

#9 ·
OK-question--- With raising the bars does it give the feeling that the rake is longer?
I rode a friend's bike only for a very short way but it seemed to handle more like a cruiser in some ways.
I'm 5' 10" so they would appear to suit me going by what someone said.

#11 ·
The Risers are on and they make a HUGE difference.

The weight is off my wrists and I'm not leaning as forward as before. I think I'm going to really appreciate buying them.

For what it is worth, for folks considering this, my riding style is pretty much straight up in the seat...been riding that way most of my life. The 1 1/4" risers made the difference I needed (I'm 5' 6").
:upthumb: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#12 ·
Well alright Mike.
I never liked leaning over forward the way the stock bars
were. The risers work great. I don't know how those cafe
riders do it, maybe it makes them feel like there going faster.
It gives a little different feel in the handling but, you get used to it right away.
Good luck with the bike. Maybe we can get a ride or two in
together next summer. It was 33° this morning Brrrrrrrr.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.