Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to add some coolant, what kind, how much and where can I buy it other than a dealership? Can I buy something that I do not have to "mix". I assume it goes right into the resevoir under the seat, is this correct? Thanks. Not mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You just had to go and start a 'coolant thread,', huh?

Okay, I'll start.

I think you should top off the fluid with something that is the same color. Whatever it is must be 'aluminum compatible'. If you ask me, I don't think an engine can tell the difference between coolant for a bike or a car, as long as it is compatible with the engine internals. I think I'm running a Prestone product for GM specification. IIRC, it's orange.

You add to the reservoir under the seat. Although I think the manual says to check the level with the bike upright, the reservoir is not that wide, so checking on the sidestand is fine. The best way to check the level is to shine a flashlight on the tank from above with the seat removed, or from behind the tank, above the rear tire when the seat is installed.

Don't get excited if you add too much. The excess will drain onto the floor. DO NOT get the coolant on the rear tire, as it is very slippery. Also, make sure you wipe it up before the dog or cat gets to it, because it is sweet, and they'll drink it. They'll soon die from kidney failure.

Also, you should change coolant regularly. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's called for every two years. Not only for freeze protection, but for the anti-corrosion additive package.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts