Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to put a temperature gauge on my TBS. The '99 that's been re-listed here has one that is on or where the oil fill plug is. Anyone have one, or know where one could be bought?
Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
oil temp

those guages only tell you the oil temperature not the coolant temperature. Im no engineer but the only time ive seen a temp guage that wasnt for coolant temp was on a heavy duty diesel that had a guage for transmission temp, Im sure there is a reason for this

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...which I would think is just as important as they both help keep the engine from overheating. Anyway, even a contact gauge is better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
It is very unlikely the coolant temperature would be in line and the oil temperature too high.

You have two over temp indications: first, if the fan comes on and never cycles off, and second, the warning light. Even if one fails, the likelihood of both failing is low.

I think I'd want oil pressure before oil temperature. After all, the pressure will drop if the temp gets too high, so you sort of get two for the price of one...

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point. Mine is that I'd feel better with a little more information about how the motor is doing than the idiot light supplied.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I am a little suprised the TBS does not have a water temp. gauge in the speedo cluster. Both my T-3 Sprint and my T-3 Legend have coolant temp. gauges from the factory. I have an oil pressure gauge screwed in to the oil line at the banjo fitting on the back of the head as well. I too am really big on having some imput as to how the engine is doing. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
No...I misspoke on that one. That one just has the idiot light. Haven't ridden that one in a year or so. My memory fails me. Easy enough to install one, as all the other T-3s have that provision. Just finding a place to put it would be the issue. It would be slicker to change it over to a late Trident gauge cluster with temp gauge included. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sorry about that ! That is one of the three vehicles I have in storage this year. Cost of license fees and rising insurance has curbed my fun a little lately. I chose to ride and spend money on my Triumph America this year. I hope to bring out one of the T-3s next spring and play with it all next summer. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Burren. I've got a digital Koso in my Dennis Kirk shopping cart. Looks like it will be just the ticket I was looking for!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts