Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a need to travel to get away on some trips. So which bike to get.

I'm 5'll" and weigh in at 200 plus

Have a bonneville black and love it. Over 10'000 miles in 10 months of owning it new.

Need a bike that has luggage.

Easy to ride long distances.

Can keep up with the traffic. Like to have some power to spare.

Gives a good ride and doesn't beat you up.

30% city driving

30% country roads

40% riding the highways

And of course FUN.

And what's the cost of keeping a rocket III on the road?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just gas, 500 and 10K mi service for me. It sounded like you wanted a Honda Goldwing, except for the fun part. Do you want some power to spare or a sh!tload of power to spare? :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of hard to say I've been running my bonny behind trucks at 85 and knowing it was maxing out. Not to mention the wind even with a highway screen it's just all I can do is 15 miles before I dive for a exit. I live in florida and my faimly is spread out thought out West Virginia and Ill. I just want a bike that's home on the slaps and has some fun on the simple twisty. Not looking for the sports bike aggresisve riding postion, but I hear the new sprit will be have a less aggresive riding style. Not to mention 4 thousand cheaper.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rocket delivers the fun factor in spades and properly equipped for it (they have a factory bagger now or do aftermarket) it's a great machine for eating up highway too. Sounds like just the ticket.

As for ongoing costs (not including the payment book of course) those shouldn't be a great deal higher than a Bonnie unless insurance and/or advalorem taxes are exhorbitant in your area.

·
Registered
141 Posts
On 2006-11-15 20:10, anglen wrote:
Have a need to travel to get away on some trips. So which bike to get.

I'm 5'll" and weigh in at 200 plus. Have a bonneville black and love it. Over 10'000 miles in 10 months of owning it new. Need a bike that has luggage. Easy to ride long distances. Can keep up with the traffic. Like to have some power to spare. Gives a good ride and doesn't beat you up.
30% city driving
30% country roads,
40% riding the highways.
And of course FUN.
And what's the cost of keeping a rocket III on the road?
Hey Daytona;

I just had the honor of being in Kissimmee and Orlando for about a week... last week for a conference.... Great Place for a Rocket... Saw a beautiful Red Rocket that some guy owned who was at Cycle Riders in Orlando or was that Kissimmee? They also had a Red one on the display floor as well....
Anyway... to answer your question...it is upto you. Buy what you like and to heck with what others say... But since you asked for some imput.. we will give a bit of that.

I am 6'2' 220-240.... and I am not a young pup.. I probably have been riding longer than you have been born. I have a 05 Black Rocket.. the faster one...
I have the Corbin Dual Tourer saddle for that occassional passenger that wants to go for a spin with me. The Corbin Beetle Bags... Corbin Trim Tab... although I am planning on ordering the Corbin Fleetliner fairing this winter for installation...
The R-3 is a blast to ride. It gets respect immediately. Harley riders get off their bikes and come look at it in awe. At 2300cc, 2.3 Liter, 140+ HP and 147lbs of torgue for such a small price is what most folks cannot understand. My other ride is a Yamaha Royal Star Touring Classic.. Pictures are in Photo Album... Even my Star riding friends realize why I bought this bike....
You will never be 'underpowered' and you will have all the power you need to control the bike properly and escape and evade potential bad situations. Bikes that are under powered have a problem in these areas - but not the Rocket.
If you can TEST ride an R-3 and then TEST ride another bike that you may like.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-16 00:04, anglen wrote:
Kind of hard to say I've been running my bonny behind trucks at 85 and knowing it was maxing out. Not to mention the wind even with a highway screen it's just all I can do is 15 miles before I dive for a exit. I live in florida and my faimly is spread out thought out West Virginia and Ill. I just want a bike that's home on the slaps and has some fun on the simple twisty. Not looking for the sports bike aggresisve riding postion, but I hear the new sprit will be have a less aggresive riding style. Not to mention 4 thousand cheaper.
I had a Bonnie before the Rocket too. No question it's a great bike. However, it's really windy where I live and I noticed getting blown around and also bumps and splits in the road. The Rocket is a completely different story. It's stable as a rock under any wind conditions. The power is unbelievable. You can nail it at 80 and pass anything instantly.

It took me once test drive on a Rocket and the Bonnie was history. :cool:

·
Registered
540 Posts
For your size and riding types I would go for a 955 Tiger while you can get one.Hard luggage can be added and removed as required.It is the great allrounder and plenty of fun.I can say this having owned various Hinckleys.

·
Banned
557 Posts
You know there are a couple of dozen bikes out that you would be happy with. This Rocket your considering will continue to impress you a year after you bought it. Either the brakes, the stability or the cornering or maybe you just try 3rd gear and see what 6000 RPM feels like. But something will every time you ride it.

You can forget about being blown around on the highway or feeling beat up. You can also forget about working to keep up. In town it won't corner as quick as your Bonn, but it remains predictable and stable. And, you don't want to park where you have to back the bike uphill. Parking is one of the times where this feels like a big bike.

The factory shield is likely just right for you, I suspect you may opt to ride in the city without it. Consider a cruise control, new shocks and a seat pad as first year purchases. That gel seat will roast you unless you keep a cover on it, especially in Daytona.

Take a test ride, but only when ready to part with your current ride. And, don't buy another bike without riding this bike.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-11-16 11:48, JohnRimmer wrote:
For your size and riding types I would go for a 955 Tiger while you can get one.Hard luggage can be added and removed as required.It is the great allrounder and plenty of fun.I can say this having owned various Hinckleys.
I weigh 160 and I'm OK with the Rocket.

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2006-11-16 12:29, dougl wrote:
On 2006-11-16 11:48, JohnRimmer wrote:
I weigh 160 and I'm OK with the Rocket.
He may have been talking about the guy's height being okay for the Tiger, not his weight with regard to the Rocket. I'm 6'1" and having ridden one I agree with him the 955 Tiger is probably Triumph's best value in a versatile bike but I wouldn't recommend it to short people.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I've got to try a test ride on the rocket just to be sure. As the Tiger is changing and maybe for the better. I'd like to try the new one too but that will have to wait until I see one. The sprit looks quick but painful to ride long distance but I'm going to try it too. but that photo posted by of the rocket with faring is just killer. I just lost my bonneville to a laydown in front of a bad driver breaking the law and I'm mending 2 crack ribs a a colapse lung. The bike look on the borderline of totaled but waitiing for the insurance to tell me one way or the other. I really love that bonne but weekends have been a pain knowing I could never travel far. I just lost my 2 weeks vacation to this accedent and I'm just dreaming of what I'll do after the mend.

Thanks everyone, tomorrow I'm going for a drive to triumph dealership that my bike just got towed to and sit on some dream machines.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to never trust anyone while riding. All the best for a full recovery. Your gonna love this bike, I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
davidhp57,

That is one..............sweet looking ride. Nice job :cool:

I also have the faster black and I'm considering duplicating yours. That Corbin stuff really dresses it up nice.

I haven't seen any other accessories that add so much to the look.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I own a graphte 2005 Rocket..I am 5' 11" and the Rocket is a perfect fit.....The seat height is slightly higher then the HD Lorider. I have removable bags and a luggage rack. I have kept up with cars and trucks passing them with ease....I find the R3 versatile, well balance and it has the ability to be reconfigured adding or taking away items. To me it is the bike of bikes...........

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
David your RIII is awesome!!!!

Stopped by the Triumph dealer today. Am also thinking of adding a larger bike to do long distance riding with my wife.
They have one setup with windscreen, bags, back rest, etc.
My wife likes the look.

Every time I go I have to sit on one of the Rockets. Think it's calling to me. However, don't want to give up the Bonnie. It's just a blast to ride.

Also am considering the new Tiger. Lot will depend on reports of how comfortable it is for the second rider.

The Sprint, doubt it. My buddy rides one and often complains about poor comfort. Plus the heat problem from the pipes is a big issue (understand that has been fixed in the 07).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts