Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 2001 speed triple and i want to know what is available to gain some hp. the engine have 40 000 km ont it. is nitrous kit are safe for those engine, witch kit is prefereble? do you know where i can buy some performance stuff?

thank in advance

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would not put nitrous on a bike... (Or a car for that matter) For reliability reasons first, but it's also not necessary. I believe you can turbo most bikes. I'd go that route first.

As all modifications to increase power, the use of nitrous oxide carries with it concerns about the reliability and longevity of an engine. Due to the greatly increased cylinder pressures, the engine as a whole is placed under greater stress, especially the parts involved with the combustion chamber. An engine with components not able to cope with the increased stress imposed by the use of nitrous systems can experience major engine damage, such as cracked or destroyed pistons, connecting rods, or crankshafts.

Even if the engine is up to the task, severe damage can occur if a problem occurs in the fuel system; an engine running with nitrous oxide depends heavily on the proper air to fuel ratio to prevent detonation from occurring. For example, if the engine's fuel supply was to be reduced, this would cause the engine to run lean by whatever degree the fuel delivery was reduced by which can lead to engine knock or detonation. Depending on the engine, this may only need to occur for a matter of seconds before major damage occurs.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I advanced the timing on my '01 5 degrees, and it increased the power a noticeable amount. These bikes are plenty fast for street riding. Maybe, as your skills improve you will get closer to riding it to it's potential.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I advanced the timing on my '01 5 degrees, and it increased the power a noticeable amount.
A blanket advance in timing is a very bad idea, as every '99-'03 Speed Triple and '97-'01 Daytona I've ever had here on the dyno was already overadvanced around the torque peak. Every 955i engine I've ever taken apart (besides the ones where I had already corrected this) has exhibited signs of detonation damage.

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
A blanket advance in timing is a very bad idea, as every '99-'03 Speed Triple and '97-'01 Daytona I've ever had here on the dyno was already overadvanced around the torque peak. Every 955i engine I've ever taken apart (besides the ones where I had already corrected this) has exhibited signs of detonation damage.

Regards,

Derek

How can I tell if it's detonating? It has run great for a few years like that. I don't hear anything. I have a Tuneboy. How should I adjust it to get it retarded again?

·
Registered
185 Posts
How can I tell if it's detonating? It has run great for a few years like that. I don't hear anything. I have a Tuneboy. How should I adjust it to get it retarded again?
By the time you can hear detonation it is quite severe, and damage is highly likely to already have occurred. The way I can tell whether the timing is overadvanced is when the engine makes more power at steady state on the dyno at a given breakpoint when I retard the timing. Without a brake dyno, you cannot really properly expect to tune ignition advance, however I would definitely start by putting the advance back where it was.

Regards,

Derek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts