Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we seem a little short of options for aftermarket exhausts (must be a sign of a classy bike, I reckon), I was thinking of adapting pipes designed for more "commonly found" bikes. That's once I get the hang of tig welding at college.

Anyone had a go at this or have a feeling that this is a bad idea?

Adam, early Trophy 900

·
Registered
171 Posts
You go for it! It has been done before, I have seen a 3 into 1, and a 4 into 1 on Trophy's.
I would graft on the tailpipe of something like a 1200 Suzuki Bandit, you'd have loads of end cans to choose from then;o)

Trophymick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea - I'll look for a Bandit 1200 tailpipe to weld on. Do you think the difference in the engine capacities is important? Would it work better/worse than a Bandit 600 pipe for example? I'll post some photos of the project - I've found some Trophy downpipes to buy and use as a starting point.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motad exhaust

I've just picked up the bike and found that it has been fitted with what appears to be a stainless system. It's made by Motad but is stamped with the Triumph brand, too. Was this an optional extra when the bike was offered for sale? Or are these the standard pipes? They sounds pretty good, so I'm going to put the bandit pipe project on hold for a while.

Anyone else got these pipes? Any idea how free-flowing they are, with respect to jetting?

Adam

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a '93 bike - I'll post a picture of it. I'm not sure if it's stainless or chromed in actual fact. Probably chrome - I think most Motad systems are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts