Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Adaptations reset effect

6K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  capecodcarl 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why is my bike (T120) running way better after the adaptations are reset? I am not talking slightly but night and day, no throttle snatch, no hesitation, smooth as butter. Then after a few hundred miles, all goes down the drain? Is there a way of "locking" the ECU as not to use these adaptations? In the end, what exactly are these?

#2 ·
How did you reset the adaptations? I thought it was locked to doing anything except reading sensors. The ecu will adapt to ambient temperature and pressure after riding it. If you were able to reset adaptations to the factory defaults using software, the next step would be to let it idle for 12 min after the fan comes on. This would adapt to local ambient conditions. After a while, the O2 sensors tend to lean it out in closed loop. You may be feeling this.

#5 · (Edited)
It will adapt if you let it run for 12 min. The 12 min tune is a real thing.

https://www.triumphrat.net/the-rocket-science-forum/12120-12-minute-tune.html#/topics/12120

The instructions for loading a tune with TuneECU were to load the tune, reset the adaptations, and do the 12-min tune. I loaded a lot of tunes into my Rocket with Tuneboy without letting it idle for 12 minutes because it will adapt as you ride it. Waiting for the fan to come on doesn’t do anything. I didn’t say it would adapt to riding style. It adapts to ambient pressure and temperature. What does “time to wind it up mean”?

#4 ·
I once saw a document directly from Triumph; can’t remember if it was from the service manual or elsewhere.

I know it said that you start it without touching the throttle and allow it idle until the fan comes on, then allow it to idle a further 12 minutes. Then shut off the throttle and you’re good to go.

There was/is a PDF somewhere on this forum that had this info. I’d even like it to see it again if someone know the location of this document.

#8 · (Edited)
I can't understand why an 'adaptation' at idle (in closed loop) for 12 minutes after the cooling fan comes on has anything to do with a snatchy, jerky thing mainly at the top of first.

When a change is made to an exhaust (for example) the ECU will adapt the closed loop correction over time when at idle but this adaptation is not in the open loop area and I don't believe the ECU can adapt much in open loop at wot.

wind it up - forget the idle closed loop adaptation and just ride it hard.

#10 ·
Strange thing is not all T120 have the "snatchiness" which is weird. Or maybe people are not that bothered and get used to it. Whilst there have been numerous solutions suggested (decat, booster plug, power commander, o2 delete) I wonder how effective are they in the long run? I wonder if the ECU will not always try to "adapt" and basically be continuously fighting back these changes. I guess one solution would be to have a Bluetooth dongle always on and just reset adaptations using the TuneECU app before each ride... Used to be quite happy with my T120 but this is driving me nuts to the point of thinking to part exchange it against an R NineT.

#11 ·
Accelerating slowly in 1st at about 2500-2700 rpm, waiting to shift, it starts to buck or miss. I note that the throttle is barely open. On my bike, there is a lag of less than a second between opening or closing the throttle and when the fuel kicks in or turns off. The snatchiness may happen when the throttle goes into this lag space. I think something is f’ed up with or this may be a characteristic of the electronic throttle. I never noticed this with a cable throttle. The Booster plug didn’t cure this and it isn’t enough of a problem to do anything about. This doesn’t happen under anything harder than gentle acceleration.

#19 ·
My 1700 T-Bird and both Rockets had way more torque. Neither had FBW. The issue for me isn't controlling the torque smoothly on take off. It happens when holding the throttle stock still while slightly open. Some minor popping in the pipes under these conditions suggests that it’s going lean, on and off. This could just be the response of the FBW, as you say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.