Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent this as a response to a different thread but didn't get much of a response. Maybe that thread had lost momentum. I apologize for posting it one more time, but I'm really hoping to get some advice so I can do this last bit of work tomorrow.

I just bought the DualStar heated grips. I've installed them, with only the power wire left to hook up. Is there any reason I shouldn't run it all the way back to the fuse box and use one of the unused connections there? In the Bonnie, are those connections switch controlled so they won't supply power when the key is turned off? Seems like running it to the fuse box would be a cleaner and maybe safer approach than tapping into another power line.

Thanks for the help.

Ned

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You will need to check to make sure the fuse is switched off with the ignition switch. Fuses 2 and 3 on older models were used for the accessory plug (purple and black wire with connector taped under the tank) and the hot (purple wire) is not switched with the key-switch. This allows one to use the Triumph accessory outlet (sold by the dealer as an extra) as a quick connect for a battery tender, etc.

For example: On my '03 T-100, it looks like fuses 2,3,4,5 are NOT switched; while fuses 7,8,9 are switched. Fuse locations 1 and 6 are spare with no wire connections on either side, so if I used fuse 6 for the heated grips, I would install a jumper from the "input side" of fuse 7 to fuse 6 and install the wire to my heated grips to the output side of fuse 6. Hope this makes some sense to you and doesn't confuse you too much. If you don't have a service manual, now is a good time to purchase one, IMHO. The wiring diagrams in the back are not that hard to read. Hint: Black colored wires are usually ground wires...EXCEPTION: All wires going to the alarm connector are Black.:(

Take your time and use a VOM to check and double check your wires and you should be fine.

Good luck,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll open up the fuse box and see if I can figure out your description for using position 6. I should be able to decipher the difference between the input and output sides... I hope.

Ned

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Pull fuse 7, turn on the ignition key, and measure the voltage on the two sides of the fuse 7 position. The "input" side will be the one with 12 volts--the "output" side should have 0 volts with the fuse removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts