Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my experience if you book a bike in for a routine service and there are no surprises, you should drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the evening.

Should the local dealer keep some basic parts and tools in stock like gaskets, brake pads and other consumables?

Should the local dealer have a full time qualified motorcyle mechanic?

I have to go to the dealer because that's the only place where my two year factory warranty is recognised.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Each of your questions starts of with "should". The perfect answer to all would be yes. But,at least in my area,the answers will vary from "hmm,maybe" to "no way in hell". We are lucky here in the states because we are not required by law to see the dealer to maintain the warranty,but just prove that I followed it in regard to oil changes etc. My dealer DID NOT have Bonnie brake pads in stock,I prepaid for them to order them.Strangely,at 15000 miles,I have yet to install them,as my originals are in excellent shape,with plenty of material left. My dealer has a part time head mechanic [depending on the time of year] and another fulltime mechanic for basic stuff and repairs. My bike has never been back inside the dealer since the day I rode it home.I`ll take it back for the valve adjust someday,but I don`t know when that will be. I`m sure this is no help,but there it is.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think most of this largely depends on who your dealer is. I would have to assume that in a city the size of Hong Kong that they would be reasonably well staffed and stocked. Given Hong Kong's appetite for luxury goods, I can't imagine customers being willing to wait around for too long.

My dealer here in the states usually has most routine service done in one day, but sometimes it has taken up to two full business days if they were really slammed (unfortunately, I had to have a repair done when a BMW convention was in town).

Hope this helps a little.

Now treat yourself. Hop on your bike and take ride up to Stanley Beach and get a nice pint of Boddingtons at the Smugglers Inn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most of the bike shops I know have at least 3 full time mechanics on staff.
For a general service it should be a couple of hours.
However, when my Husqvarna broke a clutch cable it took about 6 weeks to fix

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
The last time I was at my dealer I asked for a clutch cable (to have as a spare), and he told me that he'd have to order it. I'm still mystified by this. If he has ANY spare parts in stock, a clutch cable should certainly be one of them.

When I took in the Bonnie for a scheduled-in-advance warranty cam cover gasket replacement, he had to keep the bike for a week while waiting for the gasket to come in. This would be the gasket that he knew he would need two weeks in advance.

I like my dealer, and his Triumph mechanic is good, but these parts practices leave me bewildered.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Said it before and I'll say it again, if Triumph wants to be successful long term they will have to get a parts warehouse on the continent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts