Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the ABS version of the 1050 Sprint?

I keep reading reviews saying that the Sprint isn't very technologically advanced, so I wonder if Triumph's ABS is worth having.

I should point out for our those of you in the States, that where I live the roads are often very wet and greasy:D

Any views much appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I cannot fault it on my Sprint and I am very glad to have it.
It works well enough to not know when it is working, apparantly. I have never felt pulsing through the brakes or anything like that even though I have had a few stops when it MUST have been working.

The way it was explained to me was that you do not need it until you REALLY need it, and that, for me, was enough to get it. Even if just for peace of mind.

I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear - I have it on my car and although it gives the impression of not stopping as quickly, it actually progeressively pulls the car up with no skidding.

I was rather hoping it would be the same on the Sprint. Any idea how the Sprint ABS system differs from other makes such as the VFR's system (which I've also not tried - and isn't in the running BTW)?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I've had it engage a few times in the rain, hitting the painted lines on the road. It keeps the bike upright and straight!
I've nailed the rear brake hard on wet roads, and it's amazing how it doesn't fishtail, just stays level and straight!
I think it was worth the extra money to get the ABS, I just hope I never have to really need it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
One thing to note is that Triumph's ABS system, and also their non-ABS system, is completely independant in regards to front and rear brakes. Unlike Honda's linked brake system, you have complete control over front and rear brakes and their power and modulation. I have ABS and am glad it's there just in case some surprise situation presents itself in regards to a oil spot, antifreeze spot some sand.......who knows, could go on and on. Triumph's system is completely unobtrusive otherwise.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You cant even compare Hondas "combined brake system" with a real "Anti-lock braking system"!
New VFR has similar like ABS with Sprint.

And yes, they seems to work like they supposed to, but they dont break laws of physics...

PS.I have had VFR and CBR1100xx with CBS brakes.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
+1 on all of the above comments.

One of the best things about it is that it doesn't compromise the feel or operation of the brakes in normal operation.

I get the distinct impression that out on the road abs intervenes almost always on slippery surfaces e.g. wet, leaves, sand but hardly ever on a dry grippy surface. I'm pretty sure mine has not activated yet.

Some of us, me included, consider it as the last back up in case of things going wrong; not something to explore or deliberately induce :eek:.

DaveB.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Sprint doesn't have ABS it was one of the first 1050's and it wasnt available then but i have had an ABS model for a day and to be honest in normal use you wouldn't know it was fitted

I did however brake as hard as possible (in a straight line of course) with the rear brake to trigger it and you could barely feel it pulse (very very slight)), which is prob a good thing cos you know your on the limit would prob be more dangerous if you didn't know you where breaking hard enough for it to kick in and carried on riding too fast for the grip levels

Wasn't brave enough to try the front tho lol

My opinion on it is that one time you need it could mean the difference between riding home on your bike or getting a ride in a meat wagon!

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I decided to replace my 1999 Sprint 955 with a 2008 Sprint 1050 I was undecided whether to get ABS. There are only 2 roads into my town and one of them has a descent with 56 bends and is interesting in the rain. Then I have a 3km dirt road to my house. If it is raining when I set out, I take my Suzuki V-Strom ABS instead of the Sprint, but sometimes I get caught out when it decides to pour while I am out on the ride.

In the past year I have ridden 13,000km on the Sprint in all sorts of conditions apart from snow and have found the ABS to be totally predictable. My worry that I would not have any brakes at all on a wet greasy dirt road were unfounded and it is reassuring to know that my front wheel won't lock up on me if I hit a pothole or rock and consequently apply a bit to much pressure on the lever.

I have to say that the ABS on the V-Strom is equally good.

·
Registered
857 Posts
210Kg v 213Kg
or
462lbs v 469lbs
:)
you can do the maths and find out how much these weigh...

three Super Sized Big Mac meals.:rolleyes:

Or five McChurgers.:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
This one's easy!

I think of ABS as a form of insurance: you may never need it, but it sure is nice to have if/when you do! It's been activated a couple of times, and I wouldn't have considered it critically necessary in either event, but who knows? Maybe it was, and I just didn't realize it. So AFIK, it hasn't yet saved my bacon, but I'm pretty sure that someday it will and if it already has, then so much the better. If it prevents just one accident, then it was well-worth the premium paid when buying the bike. In a nutshell, I'm glad I have it: just like all the protective gear I wear, though I may never need it, all it takes is that one time...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoosh - this is fantastic - huge thanks.

I wonder if the mods can make this a sticky thread - as you are right - I have searched high and low using the three letters ABS and nada:eek: Now you say that three letter seaches don't show up, it explains everything.

I am now 100% definite that my new Sprint will have ABS. Thanks again everyone.

(I was particularly impressed with the idea of avoiding embarassment rather than injury:D:D)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
You KNOW when the ABS cuts in

I have an '06 with ABS. I bought the bike cos it was a low mileage three year old Sprint in black - the ABS was a curiosity that came with the package. I've had ABS on all my cars over the last 10 years or so and said I would never get another car without it. Now in London I have been car-less for 2+ years but would still rank it very high on a car.

My Sprint's ABS has cut-in at least six times. It's very noticeable - the bike trembles, you feel it in the handle (front); I can't say I've noticed it on he back more than once.

As ever ABS will control braking, it won't make you stop any quicker, in fact it can even elongate distance, but it will be controlled so you can steer/slide away from trouble.

On balance I'd get it again but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Observation, awareness of context/weather/road/tyre grip etc count for a lot more - but when you get caught out, ABS can help.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have an '06 with ABS. I bought the bike cos it was a low mileage three year old Sprint in black - the ABS was a curiosity that came with the package. I've had ABS on all my cars over the last 10 years or so and said I would never get another car without it. Now in London I have been car-less for 2+ years but would still rank it very high on a car.

My Sprint's ABS has cut-in at least six times. It's very noticeable - the bike trembles, you feel it in the handle (front); I can't say I've noticed it on he back more than once.

As ever ABS will control braking, it won't make you stop any quicker, in fact it can even elongate distance, but it will be controlled so you can steer/slide away from trouble.

On balance I'd get it again but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Observation, awareness of context/weather/road/tyre grip etc count for a lot more - but when you get caught out, ABS can help.
That's pretty much how I see it, too. For an inexperienced rider, ABS is very useful, perhaps essential. For an experienced rider, ABS can actually get in the way in some cases, but then it can also save your bacon if you get caught with your pants down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts