Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my recent post '06 or 07', an 06 abs owner advised me not to get an abs model due to problems with the sprint abs system.

I was looking to buy an abs model as most of my miles are in heavy commuting with lane sharing, but if the problems he has had are normal I'll probably go for the non abs instead... :(

Are these problems that all or most abs owners have experienced?
(his comments are below)

the spongy brake saga lives on but im due a new master cyl once the weather is good and i can get round to taking the bike back. Ive had numerous re-ocurring brake bleed issues and the dealer has tried his best but still not 100% happy after 10000miles. Im fed up of hearing excuses like ' cos its abs the pipes and stuff are longer so everything works slower' blah blah gibberish.
The abs model suffers brake performance loss when braking hard on bumpy roads too and the braking distances on that type of road are longer than the non abs model. 2 up fast riding on twisty bumpy roads have induced a few near misses that would not have happened on a non abs model. .
ABs doesnt work below 10 mph which at times in traffic or on gravel paths doing u-turns is just where you need it. think about slamming on in an emergency to find the abs has saved you but once at 10mph the wheels lock up as normal.......... weird to say the least but frightening when it happens.
find a dealer who will give you anymore than a non abs bike when you trade in...(costs £900 here as an option)........ the abs bike is not listed in the cap / glasses guide trade price book so unles the dealer wants your abs bike you wont get any of your extra investment back.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What problems? i haven't heard of any aside from the normal? brake issues.

Jim T.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
On 2006-12-28 01:16, jthursby wrote:
What problems? i haven't heard of any aside from the normal? brake issues.

Jim T.
.....same here.I havent had any brake problems and the only ones I have heard of had nothing to do with the ABS system.

There have been a few theories floated about what is causing the mushy front brake feel and the above is another one.

I'm sure that if there was an 'ABS issue' it would have been well aired by now.

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I have also never heard of or had an issue with the ABS. The only thing I have heard is if you have a choice you should get the ABS because it is worth it. I have nothing to compare it to because mine has the ABS but it has worked great for the first 7800 miles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the ABS also. Granted, I got mine for the non-ABS price, but I wanted it regardless. No issues here other than some of the spongy problems well documented (BTW I have the 14mm MC and will try the 5/8 MC upgrade soon). My thoughts on the ABS is I hope to never need it but it may help save me if I do. I recall a post earlier about somebody experienced doing a panic stop on the highway avoiding a cage and feeding a little too much rear. Almost dropped it. ABS would have prevented this. Still no substitute for good technique however.

As far as bumpy roads, well, I can see a point maybe. But, how many roads a continously bumpy? Also, a good shape suspension should keep your wheel on the ground virtually all the time. If not, your probably going to be more cautious anyways.

I guess the ABS debate is kinda like seatbelts and airbags. You know, "don't wear a seatbelt---it could pin you in a firey crash and not release". Forget about the 99.9% of the time it would save you.

PS--I wear my seatbelt.

[ This message was edited by: KevyKev on 2006-12-28 10:01 ]

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies - I hoping that this guys problems with his abs are just the same brake fading problems that seem to be plaguing the sprint.
He did mention one aspect that concerned me - that the abs didn't work under 10mph, is that normal?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes--the ABS system is not active below 6 or 7 mph. I can't recall which but it is in the manual. This is necessary due to keeping the system from "releasing" the brakes when you are stopped (I think but am no expert). At these speeds hopefully the bike is under control and slow enough for normal technique to keep upright. This system has independant sensors on both wheels to sense when the wheel is locking up such as a panic stop or unforseen traction loss at speed. So far, I have not used the ABS or noticed it and seems to be totally transparent in my riding.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-12-28 12:54, KevyKev wrote:
Yes--the ABS system is not active below 6 or 7 mph. I can't recall which but it is in the manual. This is necessary due to keeping the system from "releasing" the brakes when you are stopped (I think but am no expert). At these speeds hopefully the bike is under control and slow enough for normal technique to keep upright. This system has independant sensors on both wheels to sense when the wheel is locking up such as a panic stop or unforseen traction loss at speed. So far, I have not used the ABS or noticed it and seems to be totally transparent in my riding.
Thanks KevyKev that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
There are circumstances (fairly rare) on any ABS bike that can lead to loss of braking. Ripples in the road can work with the pulsing on and off of the ABS to create front fork patter and extend the braking distance under the right circumstances. I have ABS and it has happened to me. I'd still rather have ABS than not.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just make sure that the ABS model you get has the 5/8" MC fitted. If not, have it replaced with a 5/8" MC under warranty. I believe all 07 models should have the larger MC as standard.

ABS will fail under peculiar circumstances like rough road etc. Still, I'd rather have ABS than not. I've only done 2000km on my 06 ABS and I haven't had it engage once in the slippery roads round where I live. I think it is quite unobtrusive.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Are you not missing the point and all going on AGAIN about about the problems with the 1050 brakes. The ABS system although obviously part of the braking system is unrelated to the problem. [email protected], if it was available on my bike, I'd have it.

I once tried a Beemer K1200GT. Had to perform an emergency stop when a car turned right across my lane. Absolutely bloody awesome brakes. Could afford the bike :-D

Kev

[ This message was edited by: Thefallenone on 2006-12-29 12:57 ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
have done 15000 klms so far with abs . saved me three times so far , i wouldnt have another bike without it .
The brakes are a bit spongy but so were my 04 sprint brakes
The abs dont feel any different until u get to the lock up stage then they save your hide. U dont realise how much brakes u have until you can grab a handful of brakes with out the fear of locking the the brakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts