Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ever closer to my Rocket...

I read somewhere that the '09 R III will have available ABS, but I don't see anything on their site about it.
Any truth to the rumor?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
No, according to the best information I can find, not for '09.

There's a possibility that they might announce such a thing during the new year, but for 2010 or later models.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No, according to the best information I can find, not for '09.

There's a possibility that they might announce such a thing during the new year, but for 2010 or later models.

I would love here an explanation as to how such a obvious component as ABS brakes in the Cruiser/Tourer market could have been so completely over looked.

But some how they put ABS on other bike in the line up:confused:

Not to mention NO Cruise Control on there top of the line Cruiser

All I can say is that must have been some party the night before the drawing board session:eek:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Perhaps they haven't figured it out yet. Do we want ABS or integrated or partially integrated ABS? I read a review of BMW ABS that complained that it engaged with too little pressure and that this interfered with handling in turns.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I would love here an explanation as to how such a obvious component as ABS brakes in the Cruiser/Tourer market could have been so completely over looked.
Same reasons they're not available on all models of everyone else's bikes either.

It's still a relatively new technology for two wheels. Consistent, dependable behavior on a bike is more critical than if you have four wheels under you. As dougl noted, even the "big guys" have trouble with that sometimes...not just BMW, but also Honda, if I recall correctly from a couple of years back.

You can't just buy ABS hardware off the shelf, ready-made, one size fits all, either. It takes a bit of customization, and that requires R&D, and that means you're going to have to expect to sell enough of them to make that investment back. The Sprint and Tiger are substantially the same chassis, so one ABS can work on both with a bit of tweaking to account for suspension differences. Together, those two models sell somewhere around four times as many units each year as the Rocket family does. It's just barely viable on them from a dollar standpoint, and it's only been the last year or two that they've even made it available on those two models.

Those two models are also mid-size and middle weight, so it's somewhat easier to achieve the necessary precision there. On a very light bike like the Street Triple, to cite one extreme example, the problem is that the total bike+rider mass can vary so widely from ride to ride that it's hard for the antilock braking system to adapt. (Not to mention that model's sportbike ancestry, and neither sportbike riders nor hooligans particularly like anything interfering with their feel of the machine. Even though the Speed Triple is the same basic platform as the Sprint and Tiger, you'll notice they have not offered ABS on it yet, either.)

At the other end of the spectrum, namely the Rocket, there's an awful lot of energy to dissipate during most any braking action. Reliability becomes extra critical. Can you imagine being used to braking hard all the time to take advantage of the ABS, and then suddenly having it default to non-antilock mode right when you need it most? Locking up the rear wheel is kind of a thrill on the Rocket! :)

Then, too, Triumph have never tried to be the most modern at everything. The basic, no-nonsense nature of British bikes is part of their appeal. They make a decent effort to keep up with the times--Triumphs don't leak oil any more, start consistently, last for ages, etc.--but they make no pretense of being on the cutting edge of technology. Since there are so many other bikes in the world that don't have ABS yet either, I doubt that there was ever any feverish discussion in the design department about keeping up with the Joneses.

Now, the mandatory disclaimer for any nitpicky types who sometimes lurk among us and enjoy arguing about things no one has said: I'm not saying ABS is a bad idea in general; just answering the request for an explanation of why Triumph hasn't made it available on all models yet. These are some of the fairly good reasons why Triumph hasn't jumped on the ABS bandwagon willy-nilly. In point of fact, I wouldn't mind having ABS myself on some types of bike, maybe even the Rocket--but only after I'm darned sure they've got it right!

·
Registered
472 Posts

But some how they put ABS on other bike in the line up:confused:

Not to mention NO Cruise Control on there top of the line Cruiser

All I can say is that must have been some party the night before the drawing board session:eek:

Ok what factory bikes come with cruise control that are not the Luxury barges?
I know that Goldwing? Electra Slide? Yam Venture? some BMWs? might come with it.

Hmmm Rocket looks nothing like any of these, so apparently they are not competing with that market.. Pretty sure they intended to keep it stripped down as possible and sell you what accessorries they do make...

not trying to bust your bubble, but I hate when people do they...geez why doesnt it come with xxx and its not even soemthign other similars bikes come with..

ABS I can almost see as a legitimate grip, caus ea lot more bikes accross the range have it...

although Sport bikes are slow to get it as well..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a whole lot of answer.
I'm getting one either way, so if it doesn't have ABS I won't let that stop me.:D

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
It's just barely viable on them from a dollar standpoint, and it's only been the last year or two that they've even made it available on those two models.

I'm not sure about the Tiger, but the Sprint has had ABS since 2005. I have it on my 2008 and am very impressed with how nicely the bike stops on wet pavement! Straight and stable everytime!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same reasons they're not available on all models of everyone else's bikes either.
{etc}
Well that was as good an answer as any I suppose, however Lurking ,Nit Picky is a bit un called for but thanks for the responce

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Can you imagine being used to braking hard all the time to take advantage of the ABS, and then suddenly having it default to non-antilock mode right when you need it most? Then, too, Triumph have never tried to be the most modern at everything. The basic, no-nonsense nature of British bikes is part of their appeal.
I bet there's a liability issue. With standard brakes, crashing is your fault. With wiz-bang techno brakes, it could be their fault.

Is computerized traction control possible for a bike?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Well that was as good an answer as any I suppose, however Lurking ,Nit Picky is a bit un called for but thanks for the responce
I hope it was generally helpful in understanding the question.

As for "nitpicky," it wasn't directed at you. It means only what it says: we have a few occasional lurkers (actually, there are indications some of them are the same person) who spend the bulk of their time elsewhere, but drop by once in a while just to pick a fight. They'd see a post like that one of mine, lift one word or phrase out of it, and write something like "so what you're really saying is, ABS is a terrible thing, and nobody should have it, who are you to tell anyone what to do, you shouldn't be so rude," when in actuality, none of that was was ever said at all, let alone intended. It hasn't happened in this forum for a while, but it did this past weekend in another one... so I'm just "heading them off at the pass" on this one. :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I took a safety course in which the instructor said that to keep the front disk from locking, pump it lightly, then lean on it - all in a microsecond. Unfortunately, I only practice this occasionally. The back brake on the Rocket should get no more than 20%, which is roughly what most integrated brake systems do.

In one near crash on the highway, going 70 then discover that everyone is stopped for an accident up ahead, I fishtailed the rear end but managed to keep it upright. The state trooper behind me must have been happy he didn't have two wrecks to deal with. The next day I went to the BMW dealership, but damn, those bikes are not cruisers, are uncomfortable, and can't match the Rocket's torque. I'd love a Rocket with integral ABS brakes that worked.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've locked my Rocket's rear two times-and I practice my panic breaking EVERY week. It's tough to modulate the rear when it's slick out but the good news is I know I can do it.
ABS would be nice but it's not a deal breaker at all and it's NO sub for knowing how to stop a bike-even more so on a big beast like ours. I'm fairly sure ABS draws a lot of riders into a false sense-EVERY rider I know who has ABS has never taken the time to see how it handles in a panic stop. And it's only good in a stright line.
Every machine has it's own appeal and I like that our bikes are different. To each their oun, but if I wanted a minivan or Goldwing I'd buy one. I'll take the motorcycle experience every time. No music, no GPS, no cruise control. If Triumph builds that-good for those who want it-but it already exists in the other brands so why do it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hope it was generally helpful in understanding the question.

As for "nitpicky," it wasn't directed at you. It means only what it says: we have a few occasional lurkers (actually, there are indications some of them are the same person) who spend the bulk of their time elsewhere, but drop by once in a while just to pick a fight. ...

Not a prob:)

I'm still in hunting & gathering mode so I got questions and ya maby some rants also:eek: with a wife 2 kids a mortgage and 2 car notes I have to be dam sure about dropping this kind of cash on a toy no what I mean.

Walt

·
Registered
180 Posts
I rode a HD that has a weight over 700 lb. It had ABS brakes. Had trouble slowing down for a tight turn. I think it was because I am not used to them, not sure though. When I applied the steady braking action as I would normally with regular brakes, it just didn't slow the bike down. It seemed like I could feel the brakes slipping in and out of its braking power. The tire wasn't locking up, no sand or wet road. Just seemed odd to me. Maybe one has to get some time with this style of brake before all feels right. not sure. This was on a Harley demo day and I rode 4 different Harleys that day on the same of road with a group of demo riders.
I have logged over 120 miles on the Rocker 3 with standard brakes. No trouble braking the 700 lb bike with my style of riding.
When I get a Rocket 3 if ABS brakes are optional not sure if I would want them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Maybe it's just me personally but I find ABS isn't needed on my Rocket III but would be very nice on my '09 Bonneville. I rarely lock a wheel on the Rocket but experience it more often than I'd like on my Bonneville. I think ABS would be most helpful on lighter bikes with narrower rubber. The large tires and excellent brakes on my Rocket III don't seem to have problems slowing me down and I frequently indulge in the speed and power of my Rocket. ;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've made it a habit to always veer off a little to the side whenever I have to brake hard for traffic in front of me, that way I don't have to brake as hard. There have been many times that I have ended along side a car in front of me just because I didn't want to brake as hard as I would have had to in order to stop behind him, other times the avoidance manuever was necessary to prevent a crash.

Have only locked up the rear on the Rocket once and it was short lived but scary. Locked up the front once when I braked over a large paper cup at a gas station.

If I were to buy a Rocket again and they offerred ABS I would probably get it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts