Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Pete,

I got my 08 Blk Bonnie last summer and noticed the same throttle response. I think some if it has to do vacuum driven carburetors (I think you have those). Adjust the cables as close to tolerance as you can and really try to be as smooth as you can be twisting the throttle.
I've put about 8K miles on the bike since new and I'm getting smoother but still have to work at it.

I bought a 98 Triumph Trophy 1200 a couple of weeks ago and after riding awhile it dawned on me that the throttle response was much smoother than the Bonneville. Different make of carburetors but still vacuum driven. However 4 cylinders and 4 carburetors might cause the difference.

why2

· Registered
348 Posts
Pete,

I got my 08 Blk Bonnie last summer and noticed the same throttle response. I think some if it has to do vacuum driven carburetors (I think you have those). Adjust the cables as close to tolerance as you can and really try to be as smooth as you can be twisting the throttle.
I've put about 8K miles on the bike since new and I'm getting smoother but still have to work at it.

I bought a 98 Triumph Trophy 1200 a couple of weeks ago and after riding awhile it dawned on me that the throttle response was much smoother than the Bonneville. Different make of carburetors but still vacuum driven. However 4 cylinders and 4 carburetors might cause the difference.

why2
I don't have any carburetors, it's fuel injected.

· Registered
3,589 Posts
Pete...it shouldn't be doing that. I suspect the pilot circuitry in the carbs are at fault. I would start by cleaning the carbs......also, before you get into the carbs, you might want to check and make sure the throttle cables are adjusted correctly.

What you are describing happens a lot on EFI bikes, but the carb bikes are S M O O T H.

· Registered
2,471 Posts
What's his problem? If you don't like the engine breaking, get on the clutch a little. If you're bike is diving in the front, whether with engine breaking or breaking, that's the problem you should be solving. Don't kniow carbed bikes, at least I can't remember mine from so long ago, but I doubt it is your carbs. It's more likely your throttle and clutch control. I have a EFI bike and it was just a matter of putting some miles on her and practicing, making her feel the way I wanted her to. Just ride it.

· Registered
3,946 Posts
I had a ducati monster that lurched badly in 1st gear. I solved it by installing steeper gearing, but it also had to do with the lack of flywheel mass. If you aren't running a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket, you might want to try one...they're cheap and might make the bike more suitable for you. In comparison to the duck, the thruxton is smooth as silk at low speeds...

If you want it even smoother at low speed, then you'll need to split the case and add mass to the flywheel...about 5 lbs. ought to do it! My airhead bmws had about a 10 lb. flywheel and could pedal away at idle without lurching.

Cheers,

--Rich

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.