Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just had my bike serviced at 24K and am scheduled to install my first replacement chain and sprocket on Friday. (I will be installing a new throttle cable and Pazzo levers too.)

Having said that, I have recently noticed that my throttle is very abrupt (sensitive?), especially at low speeds (below 40 mph). Is this something that most likely will be addressed with the new chain and sprocket? If not, are there any suggestions I can give my mechanic when I take it in? Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. I have never had this problem before.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This has been discussed many times before on this forum. Ensure that chain slack is kept towards the minimum specified but also ensure that you have at least some slack at the tightest point in the chain travel. A chain with even a whisker to much slack = a jerky response at slower speeds.
Cherrs, Simmo

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Simmo! I just got the bike out of the 24K mile service and had the chain adjusted.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would check the slack again. Dealers tend to leave a little more slack than less as this potentially places less stress on the driveline. You must have some slack otherwise you can face mechanical destruction etc etc but aim to minimise the slack.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Actually, too much slack is better than too little as a general rule. Either way, the target is 1.5"/35-40mm at the tightest spot on the chain.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Before the chain I would think that a simple throttle cable adjustment would be in order.

Adjust the chain to the loosest end of the book stated specs in the proper manner.

I'll bet that between these two items you will cure your snatchy throttle.

If you or someone else adjusts your throttle make sure you check the front bars lock to lock with the engine running for over run before riding

Don

Greetings,

I just had my bike serviced at 24K and am scheduled to install my first replacement chain and sprocket on Friday. (I will be installing a new throttle cable and Pazzo levers too.)

Having said that, I have recently noticed that my throttle is very abrupt (sensitive?), especially at low speeds (below 40 mph). Is this something that most likely will be addressed with the new chain and sprocket? If not, are there any suggestions I can give my mechanic when I take it in? Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. I have never had this problem before.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Greetings,

Having said that, I have recently noticed that my throttle is very abrupt (sensitive?), especially at low speeds (below 40 mph).
Does the "I have recently noticed" happen to coincide with the time frame of "I just had my bike serviced"? If so I would be taking it back to the place of service and expressing my concerns about the throttle. Although, since you are replacing both the chain and the throttle cable on Friday I guess I would just live with it till then, after checking the chain slack of course so no damage is done from a too tight chain.
Just curious...why are you replacing the throttle cable? Installing new bars? Worn out already at 24k?

Speed Safe,
Don

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the "I have recently noticed" happen to coincide with the time frame of "I just had my bike serviced"? If so I would be taking it back to the place of service and expressing my concerns about the throttle. Although, since you are replacing both the chain and the throttle cable on Friday I guess I would just live with it till then, after checking the chain slack of course so no damage is done from a too tight chain.
Just curious...why are you replacing the throttle cable? Installing new bars? Worn out already at 24k?

Speed Safe,
Don
Great point about the dealer as I'm not sure they did a throttle body adjustment. I'm changing the throttle cable just to be safe. No big expense.

Is there a way to have another dealer confirm if the throttle body adjustment was made during the 24K service?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Great point about the dealer as I'm not sure they did a throttle body adjustment. I'm changing the throttle cable just to be safe. No big expense.

Is there a way to have another dealer confirm if the throttle body adjustment was made during the 24K service?
It should be in their checklist and notes. If it isn't I'd seek another dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts