Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
73 t100r cleaned out sludge trap and finally got the botom back together. should i lubricate the new bored barrel before putting the pistons back. also should i put some special oil on top of the piston to help break in the new rings etc.. i will send some pictures of the bike once the valves are done and its back together. i am gettin closer finally.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm embarrassed that I can't remember how we assembled mine ...

I want to say that I wiped the cylinders with WD40 ... but I could be wrong ...

Either way, 500s are notorious for not wanting to seat rings. I rode mine with 'rolling throttle' for 1000 miles. I never let the RPMs 'sit' ... I was always either accelerating or decelerating. I could actually feel the compression go up drastically in the 600 - 800 mile range ... When first assembled, you could EASILY kick it through with your hand ... it felt like it had almost no compression. Now, she's good to go ...

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I would oil the rings, pistons and cylinders before dropping the barrel.
You definitely dont want metal to metal.

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
I thought I replied to this question? Anyway, I drizzle the piston crown with oil then massage it into the rings and with my fingers still wet with oil, I wipe them on the bottom openings of the bores. Usually all slips right together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts