Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
afternoon, all.

i have been doing rather extensive research on rear/front stands for my S3, and recently came upon this swingarm mount stand from ABBA:

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

seems like a quality product, and i like the way you have control of the bike from an upright position while standing. (especially since i am solo during all maintenance work.)

wasn't impressed with the front lift, but thought perhaps i could go with a different product in the front.

any experience/opinions/advice on this purchase?

cold weather is coming, and old bug eyes will probably be parked for a bit; like to get it up and covered...

thanks!

j3ff

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had an ABBA stand for my last 2 bikes (you just need a £19 adaptor for each bike-which you probably would be able to whip-up if you are a half decent machinist) and it is brilliant! As you mentined it is a one man job with very little chance of the bike falling over. I use a 3 inch bit of wood under the side-stand the hold it in a more vertical position to make the whole operation even easier.

The real bonus of this stand is that it unloads the suspension so you do not get the creeping sag associated with a constantly loaded suspension. I have a ratchet strap attached to a hook around the garage beams, this hooks around the handlebars and.....HEY PRESTO.....the front AND rear suspension are unloaded! No flatspots on the tyres and a fresh set of forks and shock come the spring.

So, it may cost a bit more than a Pitbull but it's a hundred times better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i also use an abba stand and at the front i use an oxford front stand.nice and thick tubeing and the swivel points are adjustable.the two bars,one sits on the bottom fork and the other on the caliper mount.£47 from hein gerrick.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
No need for an ABBA stand.

I have Pit Bull Front and rear stands which work fine. When I replaced the bearings in my rear hub, I flipped the footpegs upside down and set them on jackstands. The bike was stable and easy to work on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know of an online retailer with these stands available in the US?
Has anyone in the US ordered one of these? How much was the shipping?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Make your own

Make your ABBA stand. I had a hard time getting on in the states and not losing my shirt on the deal. A trip to Lowe's, half a day, and some basic welding (or in my case brazing skills) and you are set.

If desired I can post pics but the whole lot cost less than 60.00 and took half a day. Started at 10am and had new tires installed by 4pm.

Tools used: brazing torch, dremel, and drill.

I have since used the stand 4 times in the past 4 months, oil chain etc.... very simple.

All told would have purchased an abba if it would have been easy. Noone wanted to ship to me. email or phone calls.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make your ABBA stand. I had a hard time getting on in the states and not losing my shirt on the deal. A trip to Lowe's, half a day, and some basic welding (or in my case brazing skills) and you are set.

If desired I can post pics but the whole lot cost less than 60.00 and took half a day. Started at 10am and had new tires installed by 4pm.

Tools used: brazing torch, dremel, and drill.

I have since used the stand 4 times in the past 4 months, oil chain etc.... very simple.

All told would have purchased an abba if it would have been easy. Noone wanted to ship to me. email or phone calls.
it has been unbelievably frustrating trying to order one.

finally found a place in canada that will sell me one for $329.00!!! that's not even with the shipping...

think i am going to look for another option; perhaps your custom kit is the answer, though i would prefer something that was factory finished with all of the details buttoned up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts