Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i read some posts about people having problems with their blinkers. mine recently went out and i went down the list of most common problems. 1st stop - check the wires. yep. i ended up having to rewire the rear, right blinker because one of the wires actually broke.

they still wouldn't work, though. turning the signal switch, i didn't hear the clicking. i walked into an auto parts store, ol' skool style, slapped down the indicator relay on the counter and was like, "got one of these?"

"what car is this from?"

"triumph bonneville"

he started looking though the catalog.

"it's a motorcycle." i was even still wearing my helmet. sheesh.

he brings back a Standard brand flasher relay, part number EFL9. $15.00. numbers for volts and watts match pretty close... i popped it in and VOILA! tick, tick, tick goes the relay... flash, flash, flash, go the lights - albeit a little slower.

don't know how long it'll work, but it's mint for now. i posted this info in the "other parts that fit our bikes" sticky, but thought it would be more visible here.

on a related matter - i'm afraid i might have reversed the polarity when wiring the rear blinker that i "fixed". classic newbie mistake. how bad is that, exactly? like "fire" bad?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
on a related matter - i'm afraid i might have reversed the polarity when wiring the rear blinker that i "fixed". classic newbie mistake. how bad is that, exactly? like "fire" bad?
Light bulbs don't care which direction the voltage is going. They are just a resistance to the flow. You're golden.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's kinda what i thought... thanks for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts