Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The BEST thing about this thread is that is that it can HELP new owners (of new or used vehicles) check for potential problem areas, and the execution of recalls as identified in Post #1, AND as have been reported and discussed multiple times through out this forum,... "in the hopes of making a very good motorcycle even better",... as was very CLEARLY noted in Post #5.

It is more than evident to any REASONABLE person who reads this entire forum with at least one eye open, that not every buyer was lucky enough to get a machine assembled on a Wednesday when the production manager brought donuts in for the morning break, and there was a free luncheon, with the announcement of a pay raise for all of the factory workers.

And on that note, I'll close with a quote from Post # 20;
"And complaining (your word, NOT mine) about recalls makes no sense at all. Yes they’re unfortunate but at least they’re being fixed". .....Thanks CanB,.... glad to see that you're finally coming around to the proper notion that as with any manufactured item more complicated than a ping pong ball, there are occasional failures of design, manufacture, and assembly that must be addressed to achieve maximum performance, reliability, and satisfaction.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Give it up. You can bleat all you like that it was altruistic but it’s pretty obvious what you were trying to do. If you really want to bag out Triumph you’ve come to the wrong place.

Let’s look again at your list to see what rubbish it really is.

1. Caused mainly by poor braking technique and failure to bed the pads in properly. Not evident in the vast majority of bikes. Brakes sometimes squeal or grind and different compounds will suit different riders and conditions. If your brakes are noisy, consider different pads. Changing rotors or wheels? Come off it.
2. Head shake caused by things like, in your words, tyre age, tread wear, rim trueness, wheel balance, bearings. All the result of poor maintenance and/or negligence by the owner.
3. Fixed by Triumph and no longer an issue with any models released after the problem was identified.
4, 5, 8. All affected bikes were recalled and should have been fixed. If not IT’S THE OWNER’S FAULT.
6. Totally subjective. Some owners of virtually every motorcycle of every make find a reason to upgrade the headlight. This is not a fault.
7. Virtually unheard of. There will always be the odd bike that has an oil or coolant leak. May as well stick a sign on every bike and car ever sold to keep an eye out for leaks. None of the 11 bikes I’ve owned in the last 9 years have had any leaks at all.
9, 10. You can’t blame Triumph for the inexperience or ineptness of owners. If you can’t manage the bike you probably shouldn’t have bought it. Get a 250.
11.The reg/rec is mounted at the top of the forks, the part that is firmly attached to the frame. There is no movement of the wires. This just highlights how little you know. It’s a problem that has only occurred to my knowledge when the owner attempted to move the reg/rec.

All rubbish, just like your claim you meant well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also will chime in and state, even with the recalls, at times long over due recalls. I still love my 2017 T-120. Also find my main problem was with original dealership I bought from. My current dealership is wonderful. It is an old fashioned dealership in an old metal quonset building. Triumph wants him to modernize and upgrade to a much larger area dedicated to all things Triumph. Of course the owner says this will force him to shut down. Can everyone say Harley Davidson!!
In reading the list of complains, the one about being top heavy made me stop in my tracks. How!! Guessing that person does not tip the scales as much as I do. Wish riding experience, other bikes owned and ridden were included with issues on riding the new W/C bikes. To be fair being 6' 1" 220 lbs may be why the bike feels very neutral for me in the top heavy category. The only bikes that I could complain about top heavy are some of the newer BMWs. Anything beyond about 5 deg. lean at slow speeds felt like it wanted to hit the ground hard. But that was just at slow parking lot speeds.

Take Care

Tim

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a late 2016 T120 that had brake squeal, Triumph must of identified this problem after complaints and changed the damper set up, i contacted Triumph OZ
by email, with in the hour the head of Triumph Tech OZ was ringing me i told him about the problem i was having,he didnt know they had changed the set up, so he

went and looked over a new bike, he rang me back and confirmed the change, he then contacted my dealer sent all new parts to be fitted,no brake squeal ever since
this was well over two yrs ago, i have had no other issues with this bike, it has been a pleasure to own and ride, Triumph OZ have been good to deal with,since the fix
Cliff has been in touch about my opinion of the bike,the brake squeal problem was not a recall because it was not identified as a safety issue, Its the only time ive
dealt with Triumph Oz and the service was great,

·
Premium Member
24,277 Posts
I find this sort of thread sad & a bit indicative of society that whinges

Hi all,

I don't own one of these particular model bikes but I do have 3 bikes in my garage and two Triumphs.
I've been riding over 45 years and owned many bikes and about 4-5 brands, in more latter years I have dealt with Hinkley Triumph. Since I bought my first Hinckley ( not first Triumph) in March 2005, an '04 Sprint ST and not long after this I became Super mod on this forum when it was still privately owned by Shaun.
I've read a lot of posts and threads like this of geb's before, plenty of subjective comments.

My experience with the Triumph brand;
I have had several warranty issues and a few recalls done, with only one minor gripe not fully addressed on my Sprint GT in 14 years of Triumph (Hinckley) ownership, in my case a 2004 Sprint ST 955i, Sprint 2011 GT 1050 and a '04 Daytona 955i.

My worst experience with a warranty and dealership issue was a bent rear wheel on a new Honda CB 650, when they first came out.
The dealer refused to replace the wheel under warranty, eventually I got a new wheel, but not without a serious fight.
I know that is not normal for the Honda brand and was a one off moron dealer. I had many Honda Fours back in the day, but only one from that dealer!

The OP's post and subsequent snipey replys to other members is as CanberraR3's stated more of a subjective whinge than a factual list in my experienced opinion.

I've been following this thread since the beginning and completely agree with the last three posts, CanberraR3, bikertucker and my experience dealing with Triumph since 2005 with various issues has been the same as that of my other fellow countryman gregoz.

This is my opinion as a non owner of this model but an experienced rider and Forum moderator here for 8 years and as a fellow Hinckley Triumph owner.

cheers
DaveM:3dcool

·
Registered
96 Posts
The BEST thing about this thread is that is that it can HELP new owners (of new or used vehicles) check for potential problem areas, and the execution of recalls as identified in Post #1, AND as have been reported and discussed multiple times through out this forum,... "in the hopes of making a very good motorcycle even better",... as was very CLEARLY noted in Post #5.

It is more than evident to any REASONABLE person who reads this entire forum with at least one eye open, that not every buyer was lucky enough to get a machine assembled on a Wednesday when the production manager brought donuts in for the morning break, and there was a free luncheon, with the announcement of a pay raise for all of the factory workers.

And on that note, I'll close with a quote from Post # 20;
"And complaining (your word, NOT mine) about recalls makes no sense at all. Yes they’re unfortunate but at least they’re being fixed". .....Thanks CanB,.... glad to see that you're finally coming around to the proper notion that as with any manufactured item more complicated than a ping pong ball, there are occasional failures of design, manufacture, and assembly that must be addressed to achieve maximum performance, reliability, and satisfaction.
exactly, our passionate friend from down under just dont get it, must have alot of stock in the company . troll on :grin2:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
my base 12 mag wheeled bonnie has been flawless! sure seat was hard + brakes + suspension was upgraded for my preferences but no actual issues. the smoothness compared to the beautiful 70 T120R is surely the best part IMO

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
my base 12 mag wheeled bonnie has been flawless! sure seat was hard + brakes + suspension was upgraded for my preferences but no actual issues. the smoothness compared to the beautiful 70 T120R is surely the best part IMO
I've had an 01/06/13 and an Scrambler , all were great bikes but I kept looking fot a sixth gear and a tad more power. Other than that those were brilliant bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In fairness, I think the danger of such a list is that someone seeing it but not otherwise familiar with the T120 will think that the bike is problem plagued mess and steer clear of purchasing one, new or used.

I bought one of the first T120s in the US, and it's been great for well over three years now. It's been the best all-around bike I've ever owned, not to mention the smoothest, with by far the best gas mileage.
I'm glad you added the second sentence/paragraph because I haven't taken posession of my 2020 T120 yet, and I was sweating a little from the OP.
I have had zero issues with my 2014 T100.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Surely you jest? Triumph has everything but sox and knickers.
I think he means that H-D dealers have far more floor space dedicated to merchandise other than motorcycles than Triumph dealers do. For every branded item that Triumph sells, H-D offers ten. H-D stores near where I live are vast, and sell nothing but H-D branded stuff. Triumph dealers almost always have competing product lines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think he means that H-D dealers have far more floor space dedicated to merchandise other than motorcycles than Triumph dealers do. For every branded item that Triumph sells, H-D offers ten. H-D stores near where I live are vast, and sell nothing but H-D branded stuff.
Yes, precisely. I have a dozen different Tshirts, and a couple of caps, had a belt buckle and a watch, some coasters. lol
But HD has much more mature merch offerings. I have a bunch of HD stuff also, because I believe in supporting motorcycling in general. Have a cool Indian shirt also.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I think he means that H-D dealers have far more floor space dedicated to merchandise other than motorcycles than Triumph dealers do. For every branded item that Triumph sells, H-D offers ten. H-D stores near where I live are vast, and sell nothing but H-D branded stuff. Triumph dealers almost always have competing product lines.
In Daytona they boast "the largest Harley dealer in the world" we have our AMCA meeting there and Shelley Rossmeyer owns it, she also races the Sons of Speed board track racing series. It is big but the "largest" I'd need a tape measure, they do have a huge amount of stuff yes it is almost obscene but look in the parking lot and everybody bought the stuff. One thing though, of all the clothing I ever bought I rate Triumph the absolute best.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yep and Triumph does a terrible job marketing its clothing, etc. No reviews to be had from third party vendors, usually just one picture on the site with no detail, can never find hardly any of it in my local dealer. It is almost like the stuff doesn't even exist lol which is too bad because they make some nice stuff. Accessories marketing is better but not by much.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Yep and Triumph does a terrible job marketing its clothing, etc. No reviews to be had from third party vendors, usually just one picture on the site with no detail, can never find hardly any of it in my local dealer. It is almost like the stuff doesn't even exist lol which is too bad because they make some nice stuff. Accessories marketing is better but not by much.
British motorcycle magazines review all their stuff, BMW stuff as well.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty much addicted to Triumph riding jackets, and buy about one a year. My local dealer never has them in a size medium. I have to order online.

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
Cycle Gear online has Triumph clothing and riding gear. Quite a bit of it has been on clearance lately. Just throwing that out there if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Harness

This thread appeared to start about technical issues. As a point of reference, I have always had a Triumph around and I don't see that changing. (I suppose I might have a brief affair with the right Norton.) My current 17 Street Cup is terrific and working fine, but it is low mileage. It's hard to ignore all of the complaints about wire damage at the front end, especially when you can see the potential problem. I've wired a lot of bikes and see harness movement with the forks, but nothing like the way that thing pulls to the right, not to mention the push back going left. Giving it a half inch more slack may help, but that rectifier/regulator is still on the front forks. And (IMHO) those heavy wires shouldn't be forced to flex every time the forks move. From what I can tell, Thruxton and Bobbers got frame mount regulators.

The fact that the 2019 Street twin regulator (apparently, I haven't seen one yet) was relocated to behind the radiator, should at least suggest that this was the better way to go. So typically - there are often advantages to buying a second generation design. If you are one with problems, it seems the warranty response has been good and you get a new harness, from what I can read. But blaming the bulk of the problem on that poor, defensless clutch cable strikes me as a red herring.

I'm reminded of the first new truck I bought. Sometimes when it was parked and the temperature drastically changed, the auto trans slipped so bad for the first half a block that you thought it was going to fall out, then it was fine. Every similar truck owner I talked to had more or less the same experience and I mentioned it every time I took it in for service. And almost every time time there was the same sort of astonished reaction that they had never heard of that before. One person told me that someone from corporate might be in touch with me, but that never happened.
I suspect that corporate legal happens.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts