Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about this, but I couldn't help note a very odd experience.
Flipping through the dial on the TV, I came upon the Half Time performance of the University of Texas marching band at the Fiesta Bowl. The stadium announcer in deep, stenorous tones proclaiming,
"And now, for their final song, the University of Texas band will play the classic 1971 Led Zeppelin classic "Stairway to Heaven."
And there they were, fluglehorns, fifes, trombones, drums, burnt orange uniforms with white Stetson hats, marching and playing out in Sousa-like time and formation on the football field this classic, decidedly non-prime time, win one for the Gipper music.
I know that the Beatles have been Musak-ed to death over the years; but this took the cake for me.
:eek:
Maybe I'm lamenting on the commercialization, watering down and evolution (destruction?) of original musical intent. I know that most folks would relate easier to Wagner as played in a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon, but tonight's desecration seemed to me a real stretch.

Venting complete, for now...

·
Registered
659 Posts
"Freebird! Freebird!!"

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If you recognized the song, then I suppose they actually did a pretty good job. (Hey... at least they had the balls to try something different.)

However, if you only saw them perform Stairway to Heaven, then you actually missed the best part... they also performed Kashmir. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts