Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as of last spring I purchased my very first bike. I got an '08 T100. It was absolutely fantastic. I put a couple thousand miles onto it before it had to get locked up for the winter. It gets cold and snowy here in colorado.

Well, it was stationary for awhile before I could get it into a garage and warm it up. Now, it won't start.

I inadvertantly drained the battery (rookie mistake) so it sat for a couple weeks. Then I got a new battery, it started up like a dream, and took it to my girlfriends house. It hasn't started since then.

I'm totally inexperienced with the mechanical side of things, but I do have a couple of guys that are mechanically inclined to guide my hand, but I'm looking for a place to start.

To my knowledge I think the fuel might have gotten a little sludgy from sitting for so long, but that's a ballpark shot.

Any advice would help me tremendously.

Thanks in advance,
Russell

·
Registered
305 Posts
Drain the fuel out of the tank and the carbs and put fresh gas in. There are threads about winterizing your bike. I don't have to worry about this because I live in TX. Good luck

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
If you do nothing else, add a few ounces of Stabil, fill the gas tank to the filler neck with fuel, and put a Battery Tender on the battery; the "Junior" model is fine for this purpose. It comes with a wire harness that you can connect permanently, cable-tie the excess wire into a compact loop, and let the connector hang out from under the side of the seat.

Plug in the Battery Tender and forget about it until you ride again.

Ideally, you would add the Stabil before you finish riding for the season so it can work its way into the carburetors.

You can search for "winterization" or something like it for more extensive tips, but this is the minimum you should do. Resist the temptation to start it in the winter and run it for a few minutes, which doesn't help anything.

In the spring, put some fuel system cleaner in the tank when you start riding it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right, cool. I can definitely do that. So, you don't think there's any reason to try and get it started now? I should just wait until it's warm outside to tinker with the bike?

Also, I've been periodically charging the battery with a trickle charger indoors; that's all right, no?

Thanks for everything,
Russell

·
Registered
745 Posts
winter. ... stationary for awhile before I could get it into a garage and warm it up. Now, it won't start.
> new battery...started up like a dream, and took it to my girlfriends house. It hasn't started since then.
> fuel might have gotten a little sludgy from sitting
Any advice would help me tremendously.
possible fuel, but it started and ran the jets clean with bulk gas before fail again...just how long were you inside your girlfriend's?.

I need more specific info:
does it crank or just click?
if it cranks, is it fast or slow?
if slow-ish, playing with the battery could be a connection.

if it cranks OK,
pull a plug and spritz some ether...see if it fires for a second...that would verify spark and point to a fuel problem. it may start on ether and clear itself to run on the pump gas (either flush the gas and add new, or put a drop of dry gas in there and go like hell...you may have ice in the gas.

if it won't fire on ether, you don't have spark, and it could be a silly sidestand switch or clutch safety.

but you have to rule out the first few before you can pinpoint the exact problem.

do those chores and post back. may as well learn to troubleshoot these the right way...soon you'll be king.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts