Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2001 Daytona 955i, the sprag is playing up, I have taken the side casing off and have taken the sprag out.

The problem was a spinning starter motor and gear but not engaging the engine.

When I took it apart the hex caphead( that holds the sprag)seemed very loose and was very easy to undo.

Is possible that this was not tight enough and that is problem(not putting enough pressure on the clutch?

Your thanks in advance.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
2001 - or 2002?
You cannot get to the Sprag in an 01 without splitting crankcases
- assume you are talking about 02 model?

I guess you mean bolt #11 - well that is supposed to 54Nm
I would think that would be problem - can you see indication of it slipping?

p.s. Looking at your 'welcome post' you mention it has been laid up for a year - if the battery is not at peak capacity (and even recharging attempt may be futile in reaching full charge) it will have problem hooking up the Sprag
DO NOT attempt to start with anything less than a fully charged battery - sure fire way to fry the Sprag.
Quick load test for battery - turn on ignition/headlights - what does voltage measure across battery in this state?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Andy, I think you have what is referred to as a 2001NS (new style) as the 2002 model year design was released early in England and have 2001 regs.

Certainly worth a shot at properly tightening the bolt.

Brad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the bike was laid up for a year, the battery was fully charged and it did, slip a couple of times, when starting. This problem started to get worse as time went by, hence the strip down. The bolt was loose it took no effort or clamping to loosen.

Is there anyway of telling if the sprag has gone? Visually or is there a test?

Where do you get a replacement from, is only from Triumph?

:confused:
Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it defo the sprag clutch, going to get a Auto bearing guy to see if he can match otherwise it is a £181 for a new one :eek:

Off for a ride down to Cambridge on my trusty K100 instead, 28years old and still putting a smile on the miles;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts