Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow. Just got back from a 6 day 1456.7 mile trip to france, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and holland. The channel tunnel was great [we didnt have to show our passports, the security check was a quick chat about Motorbikes, Manchester united, and then we were let through]. At the other end it there was no french passport control or anything, it was straight onto the motorway. Uk to France in half an hour.
The weather was superb, hot and dry with sticky tarmac. The sweet spot was the Mosel / Eifel region of germany. Following the Mosel river on wide sweeping, empty roads [except for loads of other bikers]. Then punctuating that by climbing the steep vineyard hillsides on crazy steep hairpins which open out on top onto wide meadows which offer fantastic sweeping roads.
I was busy riding so i don't have many shots, there's a few below. We also did a spot of unrestricted German Autobhan riding. I topped a recorded 142.9 mph fully loaded with panniers and top box. The bike was superb and solid except for the mirrors flapping about like spaniels ears in a breeze. Couldn't see feck all. I had an 18 tooth front sprocket fitted which held me back a bit top end, but gave me so much more lower down, especially with luggage and steep hairpins. Holland was also a surprise. We visited the massive sea *****, which are a popular holiday destination for the locals. The castle pictured was a real find. We couldnt get a hotel room where we ended up one night, and decided to look further out of town, an this place was just around the corner. It was 5 euro each more expensive than a bland town hotel, it was a magical place to stay, with a very genial patron. On arrival we had a complimentary coffee on his terrace outside the main entrance.
I covered 1456.7 miles and used 112.63 litres of fuel.
My clock showed and average mpg of 56.1mpg which sounds about right [we did lots of motorway riding]. We came back on the Rotterdam to Hull overnight ferry.
we took out own straps which werent needed as we were supplied a saddle strap and extra rope if we needed it. Better start planning next years trip then.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very nice. You do indeed make it sound so simple to move from one country to another.

I've not yet taken a long trip myself. About 6 weeks and I'll be off on my very first road trip. Looks like it will be approximately 2200 miles in 7 days. All within the USA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts