Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is another sad day, other of our young soldiers was killed while serving our fantastic country. Please take a moment to think of his and his families sacrifice.

Cya The Tankman

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The good and the bad

Steve,
I think like me if you had given this young man the option of being able to come home he would have said no. Like most soldiers he was there for the good and the bad times. I will leave the arguments about if we should be fighting this war or not for another day. All I know is for me it is a sad day, and feel the loss greatly.

Cya The Tankman

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My nephew spent two tours there with the US Marines. No matter your feelings on the war, it's a sad day any time one of these young men or women doesn't come home in one piece.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My sympathies to the family and friends.

While you may not support the war, we must support the warriors. This last Friday I attended the funeral for a young Marine as part of the Patriot Guard Riders. Then on Saturday a friend's son went to boot camp at MCRD San Diego.

While I wouldn't recommend that anyone enter the armed services at this time, I support him, because I did the same thing when the embassy in Tehran was overrun and our people were being held hostage......

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Steve,
I think like me if you had given this young man the option of being able to come home he would have said no. Like most soldiers he was there for the good and the bad times. I will leave the arguments about if we should be fighting this war or not for another day. All I know is for me it is a sad day, and feel the loss greatly.

Cya The Tankman
I agree with your sentiments about the loss, very sad day indeed.

I`m not sure I agree about the option to come home. I`ve seen active service with the British Army and I can tell you, it was NOTHING like as bad as what these guys are going through. My nephew, who I am very close to, did a tour of Afghanistan, last year with the Australian Army. I won`t name his regiment but it`s an Aussie armoured regiment and he`s a Bushmaster driver.
When they went on their first tour, two Troopers refused to go. They were bullied ridiculed and ostracised by the rest of the regiment before they were discharged.

Among one of the MANY things that happened to my Nephew during the tour was a young kid ran towards their checkpoint, they realised what was about to happen and opened fire on the kid, who then hit the trigger and blew himself up running towards them.

Luckily the kid was far enough away from them that no-one got seriously hurt. My nephew got covered from head to foot in you-know-what and went temporarily deaf but otherwise was ok. Well, physically at least.

His regiment are about to go on another tour. He has refused to go. So have a hell of a lot of others. So many, I`d probably get in trouble for mentioning the exact number. Funnily, no-one is giving them a hard time about it. He gets discharged in April, for refusing to go back.

His Dad, my brother, is an ex RAF pilot who flew in the Falklands war. I served in NI and the Lebanon, with the British Army. Despite us both being ex military, we are behind him 100%, we are also behind anyone else that has done their bit and does not want to go back.

My sympathies to those that keep getting sent back and aren`t lucky enough to able to make a choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts