Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i picked up the sprint on sunday, its a '99 955 in black. (with luggage)

I had been looking at VFR750s and CBR600fs but when it was mentioned that a friend of a friend was selling his sprint, it was destined to be mine.

It had to be dug out of the garage it was in and has an 04 tax disk but after a good wash and a new battery it both looks good and starts.

Its going for an mot on friday but will have a full fluid change before I do any mileage on it.

So far, the only riding ive done on it has been first gear and half a mile an hour into my garage. Im looking forward to putting miles on it!

Obviously im going to have questions but for now im going to do a trawl through old posts and use the search function.

Oh, and i did read the stickies!

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

The bike passed its MOT today and i got to ride it to and from the test centre! First impressions are good and i cant wait to put some miles on it.

One thing I have noticed, it seems a bit rattly on tickover. I'm going to have to compare it to another one, it might be that im used to honda in-line 4s and its just a bit different.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Hi Guys,

The bike passed its MOT today and i got to ride it to and from the test centre! First impressions are good and i cant wait to put some miles on it.

One thing I have noticed, it seems a bit rattly on tickover. I'm going to have to compare it to another one, it might be that im used to honda in-line 4s and its just a bit different.
Hi Matchlessman

it is wise to listen to another one of similar age for comparison just in case you do have a problem, but I can tell you now they are nosier than Japanese engines of similar size.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matchlessman. The Generation 1 955i's can be a little more agricultural in sound but they are a solid motor.

You can't compare them to a Jap bike though. Not for sound, smiles per miles or positive comments. :)

Good luck. They are a great bike.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Welcome to the world of Sprint Matchlessman, I to have a G80 and after a recent restoration it lights up every time and ticks over at 60Hz, Output is currently 60w but it can easily be upgraded to 100w with no effect on longevity.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

Mglemans86 - Thats not a use ive seen for a matchless engine before! Very ingenious but surely a bit on the noisy side!

Just to give you all an update on the bike, ive now done about 100 miles on it and its really good to ride! :)

The only thing i have noticed is that its dropping a bit off coolant when i stop the bike. Ive made sure the rad is topped up and there is enough coolant in the overflow so im not sure whats up. Its not overheating and i will keep an eye on it and keep everything topped up but I can see me doing a full flush of the system etc if it doesnt get any better.

The engine noise is a lot better since ive changed the oil, the old stuff was filthy! Im going to do about 500 miles on what ive got in there and then go to fully synth.

Oh, and getting it on the centre stand is a nightmare! Im guessing there must be a trick to it. And the lifting handle seems to get in the way of my foot when im riding so i think its going to have to go.

Cheers

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts